My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Friday, October 20, 2006

GM day

Today would have to be considered a grunt monkey day – this because half of the ‘grands’ have resided with me today. GruntMonkey1 (the 13-yr-old) was out of school on the day of this writing and had a doc appointment. YD took her to that with a couple more shopping type errands tacked on to the end of that space in time. The three boys stayed with me since there was a large chance of havoc being created had they gone with their Mom and Sis – maybe several instances thereof.

GM3 is now almost 4½, GM4 is a month short of 3 and GM6 is 19 months old. If you have ever had or kept young ones, you know that these ages are all very ‘interesting’ times in their lives – as well as in the life of their caregiver(s). The Spice was caring for her Mom today, so I was on my own.

The adventure started shortly after 9am and for the first couple of hours there was just general playing with a minimum of interference from me. Some days a video is required for their entertainment but today was nothing but their imagination and a little encouragement from me. Then it was naptime for the little one, so we had a round of yogurt for all and GM6 was down for the count.

A large cardboard box, some couch cushions and other miscellaneous items were then made into a fort for GM3 and GM4. This was to keep the ‘bad people’ out and soon all their special play items were stored within the fort’s confines. A long narrow box was put on top – it was their gun with which to shoot the ‘bad people’ – could they possibly have gotten that from Disney movies?

Somewhere during this time we had a short recording session. My small voice recorder is usually kept close for me to make verbal notes of material about which to write. As I was searching through this audio, it caught their immediate attention and soon I was recording their voices. The younger was a bit shy but did say hi to his Mom on the tape – the older took right to it and recited a couple of rhymes – he’s quite the performer. They both had a very quizzical look when they heard their voices played back.

Shortly after noon it became their dreaded, yet very much needed, time of the day – naptime. Their Pop-pop prepared them a sandwich first, which they sloooowly consumed – somehow knowing what was coming next. Finally, after flying the sandwich around the room several times and ending in GM4’s mouth – one bite at a time – first as a plane and then transforming into a large bird, the younger one finished his repast and was deposited in his resting place.

GM3 was a bit more of a challenge, yet with firmness, he was marched off to his bed like a condemned man going to his doom. I was hardly settled into the chair at my computer when the small one let me know (on the monitor) that he was ready to get up and start his adventures all over again. This babysitting is not very relaxing but it is good to know that you can have a part in letting these small ones know that they are much loved. God lets me know His love for me when I discuss these things with Him – He loves you too. ec

10 Comments:

Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

We are so blessed to among other blessings have two wonderful Grandsons, seven and five years. They are in FL. and we don't see them that often. Ir's amazing how with all the stuff in Toys R Us how the box still remains the toy of choice for boys.

10/21/2006 07:52:00 AM  
Blogger jay are said...

what a great grandpa....they're very lucky.

10/21/2006 07:17:00 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

You are a significant number of older Americans who, now retired, are caring for grandchildren as well as your elderly parents...not always an easy task.

10/21/2006 11:18:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

I love my girls but sometimes it would be nice to be just plain granny. You know, the type that can spoil them and send them home.

On the other hand, they are truly a blessing (most of the time).

10/22/2006 05:22:00 PM  
Blogger Tim Rice said...

You are such an excellent grandpop. Grandchildren need people like you. :)

10/22/2006 08:27:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hello Mr Eddie, I agree, you are a great Grandpa, and kids love boxes to play in or under. I enjoyed your post on duty ~ of cleaning up the icecream etc, also your meme and words post. Thanks for your comments while I was busy with my cousin. I had a great time, but it is good to be back with my blogging friends. Take care,Merle.

10/23/2006 05:12:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

TMG - The long distance blessings are still good, but nearby feels better. We will get to see our two gruntmonkeys from Texas on Thanksgiving. The four local ones are available for viewing at any time. :) And you are right, the boxes are great with them.

jay are - They probably don't feel so lucky when I have to scold them.

bonita - Not always easy but a blessing nonetheless.

granny - I too can relate to the 'most of the time' part.

tim rice - Thanks - they seem to like coming over - that's a good thing.

merle - Thanks - they are a joy, with only the occasional headache. :) ec

10/24/2006 08:39:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi MrEddie, You seem to be busy a lot of the time. Thanks for your wishes for Kathy's birthday. I also seem to be busy a lot of the time, but do not see enough results for my efforts.
Take care, Merle.

10/25/2006 04:14:00 AM  
Blogger Tim Rice said...

Hi, mreddie. If I were closer, I think I would enjoy coming over to visit you, too. You are almost always so upbeat in your writings. And such people are a joy to be around.

10/26/2006 09:12:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

tim rice - And you would be a welcome visitor. I have found that anybody can be a grump, but it takes real effort to show the joy of the Lord - but it is worth the effort. ec

10/27/2006 12:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home