My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Thursday, October 12, 2006

silly geese

This moment in time finds me once again seated in the short chair under the semi-shade of the fig tree. The shade is made semi because more leaves are falling all the time. Resting from my labors, I was gazing at the trees and pond at the rear of our property. What my eyes beheld brought several questions and/or small mysteries to my mind.

A month or so ago the ten geese that had been on the pond for most of a year just flew away – why? Just a few days ago they flew back – why? The number of the geese is now down to 5 – what happened to the others? The duck that hung out with them just stayed here on the pond – why? Who can figure their fowl little minds?

The dry weather islands mentioned in a previous missive are once again close to appearing and can even be seen a few inches under the surface of the water. The rains have been a little slack in the last couple of months and the level of the pond has been slowly dropping. For some unknown reason the geese were just standing in a couple of these shallow areas that would have to be considered either ex-islands or pre-islands, probably the latter.

The two-fold question came before my cognitive facilities – why were they just standing there in the shallows and why were they all facing south? Three were on one pre-island and two on another but they were all facing south. They would move around a bit but then they would come back and just stand there, facing south. Their genetic code may be a little weak and instead of flying, they just face the south as winter approaches and face the north in the summer.

The duck swam by for a brief howdy-do, but didn’t stay long at all – I think he might be miffed at them for leaving him alone so long. These geese are of the type that I’ve always heard called Canadian geese but I don’t think they have ever been out of the state of South Carolina. They just seem to fly back and forth between the different ponds and lakes in the area – local geese, or could that be lo-cal. They might need to go on a lo-cal diet to be able to fly further.

There are several things that I wonder about geese. If they get a whack on the head, do they get a goose egg? If they get cold, do they get goose bumps? I wonder if they are goosey – it’s hard to get close enough to find out. I feel sorry for the ones on this pond because they can’t even play ‘duck, duck, goose’ because there is only one duck.

I continue to be amazed by God’s creations, be they plants or animals. ec

7 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

You have a great mind! I like how you just take time to think.

10/13/2006 12:18:00 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

I wonder if they are Canadian geese who grew weary of the commute.

Thanks for the comment. I bought my train ticket and will hope for the best.

10/13/2006 12:50:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What kind of temps do you have that you can sit under the semi-shade of a fig tree?
Here we are cold. Furnace runs all the time, no fireplace in our new house. We will miss the warm fires we had in the old house.
Do you really just sit and think? Few people have that kind of time and motivation.
You are indeed blessed.

Betty G

10/13/2006 10:12:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

lori - I'm not sure if I'm really thinking or just think I'm thinking. :)

granny - I don't think their mommies ever showed them where Canada was - I think their north and south are only a few miles apart.

itsboopchile - It has been in the 80s all week until today - we had a cold snap and it went down into the 70s. :) My sitting comes between outdoor labors and the thinking comes at the same time. ec

10/13/2006 01:08:00 PM  
Blogger Tim Rice said...

Oh, mreddie! Thanks for the smiles you give me. I like how you reflected upon the geese. :)

10/14/2006 08:47:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

If they get a whack on the head, do they get a goose egg? If they get cold, do they get goose bumps?

So, just who is the silly goose around here? :)

10/14/2006 12:11:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

tim rice - You're welcome - I enjoyed the writing thereof.

AC - Oops! I've been found out! :) ec

10/14/2006 12:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home