My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

GM1

When I awoke, I found that it was a brand new day, it had never been used before – the only used days are the yesterdays of the past. Nobody had messed up this day, defamed it or done any wrong in it – except possibly in the hours since about midnight when it first began until the time I arose to check on it – I’m not responsible for stuff happening when I’m asleep.

It seemed an OK day, so I participated with it and its events to help make it what it should be. My usual breaking the fast participatory stuff was completed in a participative manner. It occurred to me that this day is the first time I have said (or written) the word participatory, at least in a very long time. Participatory is a word that not only tickles the tongue and lips when spoken, it delights the ears also as the letters and syllables tumble through the auditory canals and nerves.

The day was mostly an inside day since I was being held in a reserve status for babysitting. This because YD is ailing and waiting to see if they will summons her to the doc’s office to check on this – she has a call in to them. Didn’t want to go outside and get grubby in case I had to sit with the GMs.

Finally I just went outside for an hour or so – this to ruin the day for some weeds and grass in the garden. As a matter of fact, I ruined the rest of their nutrient stealing, trespassing little lives. And wouldn’t you know, just about the time I got good and grubby, my sitting call came. Due to worsening of symptoms, she did go see the doc and the Spice, being the cleaner of the two of us, went to sit.

Until this happened, we were both going to GM1’s last volleyball game of the year. After working a while longer, I came in, got cleaned up and headed to the game alone – we felt like someone in the family should go. The game was played in a somewhat close town – in the Jackson Middle school gym. The school was situated on the main highway and I located it without much trouble.

Volleyball is scored a bit different than when I was in school – today it is the first team to 25 points that is the winner of a game. Then the team that wins the best 3 out of 5 games is the overall winner. GM1’s team was the visitor in this case and they won 3 straight games, much to the chagrin of the home team. GM1 got to play a little in the second game and a good bit in the third.

The rules dictate that the team must ride the bus to and from the games that are away, I drove back to her school and picked her up when they returned. GM1 is the 13yr old and she pretty much talked non-stop from the time I picked her up until I got her home. She filled me in on all the happenings at school, at the game and on the way home from the game. We went by one of her most favorite places on earth to get her something to eat – Chick-Fil-A.

All the excited chatter reminded me so much of OD and YD when they were that age. Wow, time flies whether you have fun or not, of course in my case I usually do. Fun things are more fun than things that are not. “A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.” ec

7 Comments:

Blogger Tim Rice said...

I had to laugh a little as I read your description of your weeding activity. You have a way with words. :)

10/11/2006 05:57:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi MrEddie ~ I hope your daughter
is over whatever ailed her. I have
some weeds here tha could do with some of your treatment. Thanks for the
comment about Grandma's atron.Our
mothers used to wear them and use them as the story went. I used to wear
an apron when I was first married -
53 years ago. Nowadays most of our clothes wash so easily, is probably
why we don't wear them.Take care,
Merle.

10/11/2006 07:57:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

tim rice - Thanks - the weeding is not as much fun as writing about, and the writing I do enjoy.

merle - I think YD is feeling better - mothers of young children are not allowed to feel bad. :) ec

10/11/2006 10:27:00 AM  
Blogger Bonita said...

Today is our last day of sunshine, then it will be 5 days of rain. So, I'm like you - I'll get the yard clean up done. Really quite glorious out, and I will miss it.

10/11/2006 03:52:00 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

A cheerful heart indeed. Thanks for filling us in on the happenings of your life. :-)

10/11/2006 05:10:00 PM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

Up here on the mountain we don't have weeds. Last year, shortly aftre we moved in, I went out and weed whacked the front yard. This year I didn't and we have the most glorious display of wildflowers.

10/12/2006 08:17:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

bonita - You speak of the rain very certainly - our weather persons are not at all that sure around here. All the good weather predictors must be up in that area.

jayleigh - You're wecome, I do enjoy the living and the writing about it.

TMG - I wouldn't mind having some wildflowers - most all of my weeds don't even have the decency to bloom, they just suck the nutrients out of the soil. ec

10/12/2006 11:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home