My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Monday, October 16, 2006

duties

There was an ice cream carton in the freezer with just a few spoons of that delectable vanilla bean frozen confection therein contained. It is a terrible thing to leave a near empty carton in the freezer, just taking up space. One of my jobs as the man of the house is to clean up around the place, and that carton fell into my sphere of duty.

There were several bananas hanging on the little banana hanger thing that were getting on towards too ripe. Another one of my duties is to see that food is not wasted. Just the spark of an idea began to form in my mind – why not mix duty with enjoyment? Not being able to come up with a good negative answer, I set about the act of mixing the two together.

Carefully extracting a banana from its holder, I peeled it, broke it in half and placed the two broken parts in the bottom of a bowl. Now the die was cast and the scene was set, the peeled banana could not be wasted – especially since it had been broken in half. Then the peeling was put down the disposal so I would not be tempted to try to put it back on the broken banana.

The bowl was a Corelle one by Corning and it was about half the size of the one-quart containers that I usually use for extreme desserts. The banana was then squashed and mashed on the bottom of this dish with a large stainless steel fork. The near-empty container was taken from the freezer and its meager contents were emptied into the bowl on top of the banana pulp.

The amount of ice cream was so small that it looked very lonesome – the only solution I could think of was to get some from another carton to keep it company. This was done but it still didn’t look right, something was missing. Then I got some walnuts and broke them in small pieces on top of all this – see how one thing leads to another?

A near-empty bottle of chocolate syrup was in residence in the frig – I did my duty and helped empty this on top of the ice cream. I reasoned that most everything contained in the bowl so far was healthy, even the chocolate syrup contained certain elements that are reputed to be good for the body. This spur of the moment healthy thing was still missing one final crowning glory.

Carousing through the frig again, I espied the strawberry spread and decided that since this had fruit contained therein, it should top off my dish. I knew that strawberries were healthy, but I wasn’t sure at all about the spread part – maybe this was what my body did after I consumed all this.

Doing my duty in this case was much fun and delicious. Some of my duties are a bit tougher; one in particular is to love my fellow humans in word and deed – especially since some of them are not very loveable. But this is the very least I can do since Jesus Christ loved me enough to die for the wrong things I had done. This is my duty to God but also an honor to obey His Words. ec

12 Comments:

Blogger Bonita said...

I hope your cleaning duties are always so delectable, MrEddie, with no change in that notch in your belt. It is good to savor life's little treasures.

And, is your name really George? I like it!

10/16/2006 02:49:00 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

You are making me want some ice cream!! Sounds like you had a fun time "cleaning" up! LOL! :)

10/16/2006 05:39:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

bonita - Thanks to exercise, the notch in the belt stays the same. My first name is George but I have most always been called by the middle one, Eddie.

adannells - That 'duty' was a fun one - it's a good thing I don't 'clean up' like that all the time or I would be wearing tents. :) ec

10/17/2006 08:55:00 AM  
Blogger grannyfiddler said...

surely such good stewardship and meticulous attention to detail shall be rewarded!

:o) you make a snack into a celebration, mr. e

10/17/2006 03:03:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

grannyfiddler - My 'duty' was definitely multifaceted. :) ec

10/17/2006 04:46:00 PM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

Sounds to me like the stewardship has already been rewarded.

10/17/2006 10:08:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

TMG - It was a very rewarding experience. ec

10/17/2006 10:28:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

Waste not, want not.

10/17/2006 10:37:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

granny - Sometimes it involves the choice of whether I want something to go to waste or to waist. :) ec

10/17/2006 11:07:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

Just received your comment about wrinkles.

Thanks.

10/17/2006 11:18:00 PM  
Blogger Tim Rice said...

Ah, you made doing your duty too much fun! ;)

10/18/2006 08:54:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

tim rice - Some duties can be fun and that was one of them. :) ec

10/19/2006 10:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home