My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Thursday, October 19, 2006

colors

It was a rare moment in that the Spice and I were partaking of our evening meal together. Rare because MIL is in the hospital and has been for more than a week. We had been talking about most anything and everything, and enjoying the words together very much. Then I looked into her eyes and asked her – “Why isn’t yellow my favorite color?”

She got an odd look on her face and I knew that she would have raised one eyebrow if she could. She didn’t know an answer, so she turned the question back to me. It felt a little weird but I didn’t know the answer either. Being a bit flummoxed, I turned to the mighty WEB and simply typed in ‘favorite color’ and got bunches and bunches of information.

What I settled for was a site that gave a color expert’s opinion about what our favorite color reveals about our personalities and who we really are. In an effort to answer my own question, I looked up the color yellow to see what it said about the qualities of a person that would choose that color. As I read through the ‘yellow qualities’, I realized that most of these seemed to describe me to very well.

Then came the snags, character qualities that I didn’t have and didn’t even want. All these years (or minutes) of wondering why my favorite color wasn’t something else seemed to be answered in one article. If I had only known these things earlier, how different my life would have been.

Then the horrible thought came to me – what if my favorite color is non-descriptive of who I really am? Then I would have to go through the agony of choosing another favorite after all these years of living under an assumed color preference. Could that be construed as living a lie – or even a partial truth – or would those be the same thing?

With trepidation I read what kind of person would choose my actual favorite color. How could this person writing the article have known all these details? Great relief flooded my entire being – except my toenails – as I now realized that what it said was close enough to keep me from the trauma of choosing another color to guide my life.

While writing this a bit keyboard in cheek, I find it sad that many in our world guide their lives by colors, astrological signs or what the tea leaves say. Our lives, happiness and future do not depend on reading the signs or tea leaves, or even our color choice, but our choice of a Savior. ec

8 Comments:

Blogger Bonita said...

My favorite color can be found in water, oftentimes blue or grey, but totally dependent on the sky, whether it is cloudy or bright. I've learned to appreciate reflections, too, with their multitude of colors. Life is rich, isn't it!

10/19/2006 12:58:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

I'll have to check mine. If you take a look at my blog, you can probably figure out what it is.

It isn't yellow.

10/19/2006 07:36:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

bonita - I'm an appreciator of all colors but I'm partial to most any shade of blue.

granny - I did notice that it wasn't yellow. :) ec

10/19/2006 11:22:00 PM  
Blogger jay are said...

good post! Now you've got me curious.

10/20/2006 01:24:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

jay are - Thanks - and curiousity is a good thing, especially if it spurs us on to safe investigation. :) ec

10/20/2006 12:50:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

These little things are interesting, but should be taken with a grain of yellow.

10/20/2006 05:55:00 PM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

Glad you made it to the party. Just be glad your favorite color isn't beige or even worse, peuce.

10/20/2006 08:12:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

AC - So true, or even taken with a large splash of rainbow.

TMG - I'm just glad that I can witness the daily passing of the colors of nature and otherwise. By the way, did I have a good time at the party - I don't remember a thing. :) ec

10/20/2006 10:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home