My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Saturday, November 04, 2006

gifts?

The next day came without any formal announcement – at least I didn’t hear one – and the day continued all day. The first thing in my day after an intake of sustenance was a chiropractor appointment. The appointment was kept and I was appropriately ‘cracked up’ by the time I left.

Arriving back on the home front, I was the only one not busy, so it fell my lot to watch over two young ones eating their lunch before going down for their nap. GM6 was already down and the only thing standing between these two and the big ‘N’ was finishing their meal – and they seemed to be in no big hurry to get to the nap part of the day. In the midst of the insistence and/or cajoling concerning their eating, GM3 asked a very pointed, yet astute, question.

He said to me – “Pop-pop, why don’t you have any hair?” I just told him that it was because it all came out – and I pointed out to him that I still had some on the side. Totally distracted from his eating endeavors, GM4 said, “You have some on the other side too.” Whereupon GM3 followed with, “And you have some in the back.” It was a great comfort that they noticed that – they seemed to be trying to help me feel better about my lack of combable stuff on top.

After putting them down for a snooze and a little down time for me, it came time for a dentist appointment. This visit was made necessary by a loose filling as well as the tooth being cracked. While this is not my favorite place to be, I felt fortunate that he was able to repair the tooth, because the next step would be a crown or something similar – and much more expensive.

The repairs were done quicker than I had planned, so even after running a couple of errands, I still got to my next appointment early and sat in the parking lot recording my adventures of the day. On the way back home, I stopped by and picked some take-out for our supper. The Spice was still out, having volunteered to pick up GM1 after her cheerleading excursion down at the North Augusta gym.

Arriving home, I turned the outside lights on and readied the large bowl of candy for the little goblins and such that would be coming by shortly. The closest room to the front door is my small study/computer room, so I occupied that area until the arrival of the masked ones. The time passed and we got absolutely none – for the first time ever there were zero small ones coming to the door.

It could be that since we are the last house on our side of the street and a bit separated from the others, that it was just too much trouble to walk down here for a few pieces of candy. They probably wanted maximum candy for distance walked and our house didn’t measure up to the math. Now the grunt monkeys will be forced to help me eat all the candy – poor little guys.

That reminds me of a principle in the physical and spiritual. A gift is not really a gift unless it is received. That whole bowl of candy was ready and waiting for any little one that came to the door and asked for it – but they didn’t. All of the wonderful gifts of God are ready and available to us – but many times we don’t even ask for them. We miss His blessings because we won’t receive them. ec

7 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

Not as many kids door to door these days. Sign of the times, I suspect.

Thanks for the comment. You, of course, are one of the people we honor on the 11th.

11/04/2006 02:41:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

250 kids here. Two appointments: quite a day you had.

11/04/2006 09:44:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

granny - That's a good point - it just surprised me that I didn't have any.

AC - 250 kids - WOW!! That sounds like about half of a grammar school! ec

11/05/2006 04:37:00 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

I had hoped to film a few of our little visitors, but we had just a few due to very cold weather. Every time we opened the door, we distributed the candy with swift dispatch, and a hasty "hello". Perhaps next year...

11/06/2006 12:01:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ah, yes! The gift of God’s grace is always free. The only way we cannot receive it is to refuse it.

11/06/2006 12:10:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~ I could not comment yesterday, but can today -go figure !
You have been busy with more appointments and generous comforting
grandkids with their comments.
Shame about all that candy you and they will have to eat. I agree with you totally, "Life's treasures have nothing to do with money!!
Take care, Merle.

11/06/2006 01:29:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

bonita - I enjoy the little ones coming by - maybe I should put up more lights to attract them. :)

SSN - Yes indeed, free for the asking.

merle - And more appointments even today. I do find it irratating when my electronics fail me. ec

11/06/2006 10:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home