My Photo
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, October 31, 2006


Health Care And Other Related Stuff. The events described within this missive actually happened at the end of last week, but I’ve just have been too busy to write about them. The day after all my surgery adventures began the health care drama of the Spice. This was the day that she had ‘prepared’ for all of the day before – it was the day of the colonoscopy. If you have ever had one of these you are well aware of what said ‘preparation’ consists. The Spice was one clean lady – inside and out.

Our hour of arrival was 6:15am, an almost ungodly hour, but good inasmuch as she wouldn’t have to go without eating late in the day. We checked in, signed forms and waited – I think the waiting is built in just to make the patient nervous. She was finally called back for prep and they would call me when she was ready. More waiting. Got to see her all of two minutes before they whisked her away into the ‘bowels’ of the building and I was directed back to the aptly named waiting room.

Two TVs occupied wall space in the room and they were on different channels. This should have been a good thing but neither caught or held my attention. Neither did my mind care to get involved in the old magazines that were available, so I set about answering the snail mail from a friend of mine.

Under stress my attention span shortens considerably – it’s not very long at best – and I only had about a half page of the letter written when I lost interest in the endeavor. The stress was partly self-induced and that was because my lady was ‘behind closed doors’ and I wasn’t. Then I started the shortened version of people watching – people glancing.

There was a fairly large fish tank situated on one side of the room, placed there to calm the waiters, I assume – no one seemed to be interested. Later there was a man seated by the tank and was very calmly reading the morning paper – so maybe the tank did work after all.

Just across from me were two older couples that began a very animated conversation the moment the second pair was seated. As far as I could tell they had never met until that waiting room moment – this is just a thing that happens in the south – maybe other places as well, but particularly down here. They continued their spirited stories even after one wife went ‘behind closed doors’.

The lady behind ‘the desk’ seemed to be fairly efficient but this evidently didn’t extend to the TVs in the waiting room. She made an effort at changing the channel on one of them, even to the point of standing up in one of the chairs to reach the appliance, but all to no avail. As best as I can recall, she called the TV something to the effect of ‘ornery’ – it didn’t seem that way to me but evidently she had some previous bad experiences with it.

To my relief, they finally came for me to go back to the ‘wake up’ room to see the Spice. She was still very sleepy, but at least I was with her. The doctor came by a little later and gave us a good report – praise God for good reports. We were back home by about 10:30am - praise God for a home. ec


Blogger Merle said...

Hello Mr Eddie, I am so glad that all is well with your wife. I think waiting is the worst thing of all.
Our imaginations tend to run riot etc.
Thanks for your comments. I agree with you about the glass in the mirrors, so
inferior these days. It seem to add pounds to our bodies.Take care, Merle.

11/01/2006 12:20:00 AM  
Blogger jay are said...

Hope things continue to go well. Take care of yourselves!

11/01/2006 01:08:00 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

You two have had a rough week but glad all is well so far.

Thanks for the comment. See what happens when we put pumpkins, paint, and three determined kids together.

11/01/2006 03:59:00 AM  
Blogger Bonita said...

Your description of the waiting room is so universal. I was in one yesterday, at the opthamologists. He shares his office with skin speciialists, and that waiting room was just packed - the noise was very disconcerting. Even the parking lot was filled, and I had to park at the library!

I know how great it must have felt to see your wife in her little home, safe and healthy.

11/01/2006 11:16:00 AM  
Blogger Jayleigh said...

whisked her away into the ‘bowels’ of the building

Oh MY WORD!!! That was funny.

Glad to hear she's got a good report! God is good.

11/01/2006 01:46:00 PM  
Blogger Tim Rice said...

Glad your wife received a good report from the doctors. Sounded like one rough morning though for you. And home is almost always a comforting place to go back to.

11/01/2006 07:39:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

merle - So true, the waiting was the worst part of it for me - as you can imagine it was something else for the Spice.

jay are - Thanks much - they are going well at the present.

granny - Yes, it was a tad busy, but a good report is a wonderful thing.

bonita - We were so early that we were the second car in the lot and maybe the second of the folks in the waiting room. The Spice is what really makes our house a home.

jayleigh - You caught my little double ententre - I get a little silly sometimes. And yes, God is good!

tim rice - I felt like I had done a day's work by the time I got home, but the good report was well worth it. ec

11/01/2006 09:11:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Hey EC, I'm glad the report was good. Still, there's nothing fun about such procedures.

11/01/2006 11:05:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

AC - The good report was great, but I think the only ones in the crowd that had fun was the fish in the tank - they didn't have anyone behind the closed doors. ec

11/02/2006 01:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home