My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Monday, November 06, 2006

colorful

I think the whooshing sound I heard was Wednesday as it rushed by without leaving a lot of evidence that it was ever here. It became Thursday whether I wished it so or not. It started with another appointment back to the back cracker, since I am continuing to have lower-back/left leg pain. We seem to be in a last ditch effort to dodge the knife and I am in favor of that as well.

The drive out and back was mostly on the interstate and a lot of the leaves along the way are showing some beautiful colors. A few had almost dropped their leaves and the colors were better in some places than others, but overall it was a very scenic drive. A couple of my favorites for color are the flowering pear trees and the dogwoods. Hickory leaves turn a great yellow color, but there are not many of those in evidence.

Some of the oaks in the area are so aggravating that their leaves just turn brown and fall off, but other trees seem to make up for this by being extra colorful. A case in point is just about a half-mile up the road from us. Not really sure what kind of tree this is but I look for it every year and am never disappointed. The color is between red and orange and is so bright that one almost expects to see an extension cord going out as the source of its brightness.

Another favorite of mine is a small tree behind our house, just down the hill toward the pond. Its leaves are a bright orange and a delight to the senses. This tree came up from a seed either blown in by the wind or borne by a bird and is now about 7 feet tall. Looking at the tree close-up would seem to indicate that it was kin to the wild pear family, but I’m not sure at all. For several years now I have noticed the tree when mowing and not cut it down, so now I’m being rewarded by the color. It is as if God thought I needed that color in my life.

Friday came and went so quickly that I only got a partial glance at it. But one thing of note happened therein that is worth mentioning, the Spice and I actually went to a restaurant and ate a meal together – wow! The reason that this is a novelty is that if one or the other of us is not busy, we both are. We went to a local Tex-Mex place and enjoyed ourselves immensely. Then later we even got to share and ‘enjoy’ the heartburn together.

Togetherness is a good thing with another person, but more so with a loving God that desires a relationship with anyone that will. ec

9 Comments:

Blogger Bonita said...

What is it, about the nature and disposition of oak trees, that makes their leaves turn brown? We've got that blight on the hillsides here, too!

Should you ever get a chance, try to see a ginko tree in autumn. Nothing spectacular about the color, but this tree is one of the oldest on earth. That in itself requires a bow.

11/06/2006 08:26:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

bonita - There are some ginko trees in a nearby small city - and they are absolutely beautiful. The leaves are so unique. ec

11/06/2006 09:34:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

We had a couple of ginkos in my central NY home town. I loved them.

Sorry you missed donut day and have almost missed national peanut butter lover's day.

Tomorrow is bittersweet chocolate with almost day. Just giving you advance warning.

11/06/2006 09:40:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I hope your pain eases soon. I've lived with mine for so long that it's part of me now.

Aren't the colors of Autumn so glorious this year?

11/06/2006 10:51:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

P.S. I posted some local ginkgo colors from around here in my post today.

11/06/2006 10:52:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Me Eddie ~ No wonder the days are whooshing by as you have been so busy
I hope the bone cruncher helped you and surgery can be avoided. At least you saw lots of Fall color on your journeys. Thanks for your comments, and yes we are definitely in Spring here. A friend did some weeding for me today to prepare for my next sowing of beans. I also choose not to grow up.
Take care, Merle.

11/07/2006 04:20:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

granny - It would appear that I'm missing out on a lot of good stuff - I need to be more alert. :)

brenda - Just went back this morning and it seems to be doing better. I do love the colors of the season.

merle - The days have indeed flown by, it seems the last several weeks have only been days - who speeded things up anyway? ec

11/07/2006 01:03:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Good luck with your back. I've had stuff going on in my left leg for about 12 years now. Doing press-ups really seems to help. You can see a bit of a picture here, and there's a little one here too. Check to see whether this might help you, but it sounds like we have a similar problem.

11/07/2006 01:24:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

AC - Very similar indeed, even the same leg. Thanks for the information, looks like a good thing to start right away. ec

11/07/2006 02:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home