My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Saturday, December 31, 2005

evolution

The original author of the following poem is unknown to me but I do know three things about it. One – the poem was recited by my oldest sister from memory. Two – this took place at a rural church’s youth function in Itawamba County, Mississippi. And three – the event happened about 60 years ago. ec

Evolution

Three monkeys sat in a coconut tree,
Discussing things as they seem to be.
Said one to the others, now listen you two,
There’s a certain rumor that can’t be true.

That man descended from our noble race.
The very idea is a total disgrace!
No monkey ever deserted his wife,
Starved her babies or ruined her life.

And you’ve never known a mother monk
To leave her babies with others to bunk,
Or pass them around from one to another
Till they scarcely knew who was their mother.

And another thing you will never see,
A monk build a fence around a coconut tree.
And let the coconuts go to waste,
Forbidding all other monks a taste.

Why, if I put a fence around this tree,
Starvation would force you to steal from me.
Here’s another thing a monk won’t do,
Go out at night and get on a stew

Or use a gun or club or knife,
To take some other monkey’s life.
Yes, man descended - that ornery cuss -
But brother, he didn’t descend from us!

7 Comments:

Blogger Bonita said...

Now, thats an interesting poem! My daughter worked with chimpanzees, and they actually could do sign language with the caregivers. When one of them saw me, he signed "Big Hair" - and he was right! I signed back "I love you". I was astonished that they had this highly developed inner dialogue.

12/31/2005 12:53:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

As a cartoon of two apes talking to one another that I saw several years ago pointed out: “This Darwin guy is trying to give us apes a bad name.”

A Happy, Blessed, Shalom –filled 2006 to you!

12/31/2005 05:28:00 PM  
Blogger Enemy of the Republic said...

Good one. Happy New Year to you and yours.

12/31/2005 05:57:00 PM  
Blogger thebeloved said...

Laughing! Happy New Year!

12/31/2005 06:37:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

bonita - Wonder what their sign would be for "no hair"? That would be for me of course. :)

SSN - Sometimes we humans act worse than animals - and maybe use less brain power as well. :) May your 2006 be blessed.

Republic - May your New Year be the best ever!

thebeloved - Thanks - laughing is a good way to start a year. And may yours be blessed of the Lord. ec

12/31/2005 09:25:00 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

The poem is for my poetry files immediatley, have a Happy New Year.

1/01/2006 01:04:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

peter - My sister said that she thought the poem originally came from our church's youth publication of about 1944-45 - and of course the author is unknown. ec

1/01/2006 09:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home