My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Friday, December 30, 2005

leftovers - 2

Continuing.

Don’t remember having any leftover time – although that is about what it seems like when one is waiting in the doctor’s office – or is that wasted time? When I’m faced with that wait, I usually take something to do. The equipment involved is a pouch containing a clipboard, my small recorder (with ear-piece) and some crossword puzzles. If all this fails to use the available time, there are always people studies to do on the other seated waiters. It’s amazing what you can tell about a person by a quick glance to check out their facial wrinkles.

Most of us over 30 have somewhat “set” wrinkle patterns on our faces – all the way from those of habitual smilers to those of the old grumps – there seems to be more of the latter. Could these skin crinkles come from leftover emotions? The worst wrinkles could come from anger leftover after everyone has quit listening to the venting thereof. The smiley lines almost have to come from inner joy - that one cannot help but express.

Since it seems necessary that I have wrinkles, I prefer those caused by the leftover smiling. Just recently I found out that there is a name for the icons of the smiley, frowny, angry, etc. little round faces we see on our computers – they are emoticons – I may be the very last person that didn’t know that.

There is another leftover many folks have that is entirely unnecessary. This horrible leftover is guilt and it comes from past wrong things a person has done. My conclusion that guilt is unnecessary comes from the fact that God can completely forgive any wrong we have ever done. The only purpose I can think of for guilt is to cause us to come to God for the cleansing power of forgiveness to be applied – that’s all.

A problem arises when we cannot forgive ourselves – even after we have been forgiven by God’s grace. Could it be that we cling to this hurtful guilt because we don’t think we deserve forgiveness? If what we are feeling doesn’t line up with God’s Word, it’s time to change our feelings – not easy, but can be done with God’s help. One place to start would be John 8:36, this states we can be “free indeed” – and freedom is a good thing. ec

10 Comments:

Blogger Bonita said...

Good post, and I wish you God's good grace in the coming year...best wishes too for your family, who do so much to enhance the quality of life.

12/30/2005 01:27:00 PM  
Blogger thebeloved said...

The thing is, we don't DESERVE God's forgiveness, but he gives it anyway. But if we really thought about all the good things we readily accept without deserving them, people would have an easier time accepting the miraculous gift of God's undeserved favor.

12/30/2005 04:20:00 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog.

I think the left over guilt that comes from past wrongs, a lot of the time comes from satan. If we have confessed our wong and asked the Lord's forgiveness, He has done so and wiped it away and doesn't remember it. However, satan likes to stick his noes where it doesn't belong and remind us of that wrong and gets us to feel guilty over it. It takes our mind off God and puts it onto ourselfs and we become selfish and self centered. God has forgiven us for that sin, and we need to remember that and not put our focus on that, but on God and His forgiveness.

12/30/2005 08:39:00 PM  
Blogger grannyfiddler said...

wrinkles as leftover emotions.... i like that very much... i like to think of them as love lines. i got most of mine from laughing with and worrying over those closest to me.

...guilt IS a leftover... one of the nasty, antique stinky kind. if we really believe we're loved and forgiven, guilt has no hold on us. it's not the same thing as remorse. and it can't cohabitate with trust.

12/30/2005 09:58:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

A pair of good posts. Thanks. But what about eyelids that are sagging? Where do they come from? That's what I want to know.

12/30/2005 10:17:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

grannyfiddler - I love to laugh, as evidenced by my "laugh wrinkles" but even more, I enjoy causing laughter in others. I find it sad when even the ones that are forgiven sometimes choose to retain the guilt - not good.

shelly - Exactly - and it is our choice to just give these things up and enjoy the joy of the Lord!

the beloved - It is a miraculous gift indeed - God's undeserved favor.

bonita - Thanks - I can see your love of family in your writings and I enjoy it much. In the Old Testament it refers to God placing the lonely in families and that is what He has done for me - and I praise Him for it! ec

12/30/2005 10:20:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

AC - Wow, you came in while I was answering comments. I'm not sure about the sagging eyelids, mine do it too about 10pm every night. It has to be from staring at computer screens striving to come up with something witty (and failing), at least I think that's what mine are from. :) I'll just have to smile wider, maybe that will de-sag then a bit. ec

12/30/2005 10:30:00 PM  
Blogger ann said...

Galations 5:1 says that it is for freedom that Christ set us free.

I recently went through a bout with guilt. It seems that the longer we walk with the Lord, the more overwhelming the guilt when we fall... broken and sobbing, my roommate asked me this - "Are you ready to let this go? Jesus was crucified once for all - you don't need to crucify yourself..."

12/31/2005 12:56:00 AM  
Blogger George Breed said...

I hear it takes more muscles and energy to frown. One has to really work at it. No wonder frowning folk feel more tired.

Forgiveness is release!

12/31/2005 06:21:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

ann - Right, freedom is offered but does us no good unless we accept it. We don't deserve anything from God but He offers to us because of His love for us.

george breed - You are right George, forgiveness is release, whether we are the ones doing the forgiving or are the ones being forgiven. ec

12/31/2005 11:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home