My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

last minute - 2

Continuing -

The next stop was Wal-Mart and I finally found a place of parking out next to the entrance road. My usual method of passing the time is to take a clipboard and just write down my thoughts – random and otherwise. This day was no different and soon I was wandering in thought and writing away. In the midst of all this, two very amusing things of the same type happened – at least it amused me – of course that doesn’t take a lot.

My thought-filled reverie was broken when I saw a woman walk from between cars with a package in one hand, car keys in the other and a very puzzled look on her face. She looked up one row of cars and down the next and I drew the conclusion that she had either forgotten where she had parked or someone had stolen her vehicle. After wandering several minutes, her pace finally quickened and I knew that her search had been fruitful.

Mildly amused, I went back to my writing and then realized just a couple of minutes later that another woman was walking in my general direction with that same puzzled look covering the most of her visage. She seemed a bit more flustered than the other person and for just a minute seemed convinced that someone had taken her mode of transportation.

She glanced my way and saw the wide smile that I was having much difficulty hiding, she shrugged and from her returned smile I could tell that she also found amusement in her situation. Finding her car one row over and up a bit, she drove off in the other direction, possibly so as not to see that smile again.

My smile remained as we drove to our next destination and even the frantic, last minute traffic couldn’t wipe it totally away. It seems to me that we have a choice as to how we react to our life situations – whether we allow them to make or break our day - or days. My choice is to enjoy any part of my day I can and trust God to help me soften the blow of the rest.

I did find myself wondering whether those two women were as confused about the real meaning of Christmas as they were about the location of their vehicles. My desire for you is that you would choose to enjoy the peace that Christ came to make available – not just for this season, but for the whole year. ec

4 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

There is humor in almost every situation if you look hard enough.

12/21/2005 08:36:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

And, it takes fewer muscles to smile than to frown. Unfortunately, my visage tends to look serious when I'm in a neutral mood and people can think that I am a tad grumpy.

12/21/2005 10:16:00 AM  
Blogger Bonita said...

Wonderful story - alls well that ends well, and you are still carrying the impact imparted by your humor. Thanks for sharing.

12/21/2005 01:05:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

peter - You are right - and I go out of the way to find it. :)

AC - Hey, I can see the smile hidden in your writings.

bonita - I can be very serious if the occasion calls for it but just not for very long, it's not as comfortable as silly. :)

12/21/2005 04:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home