My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Fish Christmas

Twas shortly before Christmas and I hadn't started yet,
to dream about - even think about - just what I should get,
for the fish in my aquarium, because of all they do
to distract and entertain me, as through my meal I chew.
I've never even named them, but I certainly will -
or even place a tag on them, if they would just be still.
There once was six of them, but one ceased to be alive,
it bellied up so I flushed it, and then there were five.
But I don't know, cause they can't speak, of things they desire,
a place to swim and food to eat is all that they require.
They have no shoulders for a sweater, or neck for a tie,
no feet for new sneakers, so should I even try
to coddle them and spoil them - for would they even know
my concern about their Christmas - that I had fretted so?
I just don't think I'll tell them about Santa Claus at all -
why set them up and dash their hopes when he doesn't come to call?
I'll pretend that nothing's up and just a normal day -
reasons for the decorations I will never say.
If others on my list believed that, wouldn't it be fun,
instead of just a little shopping, there would be exactly NONE!!

ec

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Delightful! Thanks.

12/18/2005 01:45:00 PM  
Blogger Using up the words.... said...

That was superb!
But I know you do enjoy looking for the perfect gifts for everyone else in your life. :)

ENJOY!

12/18/2005 03:28:00 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

Very endearing, this little poem. And, it is the thought that counts...

12/18/2005 11:53:00 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Hi mreddie, thanks for th visits, I don't think I said thanks for your previous visit, sorry.
Love your poem, did you write it? poetry is a passion with me, you may not have seen my oyher site;
http://poetrygalore.blogspot.com/
Have a great Christmas. Peter

12/19/2005 12:48:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - Thanks - and for the visit.

Using up the words - You are right of course but there has to be a little silly in it as well. :)

bonita - Yes indeed, the thought is what it is about.

peter - Thanks, yes I did write it, notice the doggerel prints all over it. :) ec

12/19/2005 08:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home