My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Monday, January 02, 2006

mo leftovers - 1

There are many leftovers around us everyday in many different categories. In the course of writing, I find that I have many leftover words, phrases and even verses that didn’t fit in the subject of the moment and I keep them scattered and lurking about on odd pieces of paper around my computer. This in hopes that someday they will fit somewhere and can be of use. Well – now is the time! This will be a miscellaneous, odds and ends missive and one paragraph may not relate at all to the next except in the fact that it was written by me.

An interest of mine is history, particularly that concerning World War 2 and more particularly the first hand accounts written by the person involved. There are many of these on the internet and they take the form of a journal, or letters written back and forth from battlefield to home and accounts written from memory. In the reading of one account, by a soldier from the South Pacific, I found this odd little verse that he included in one of his letters to his sweetheart back home. This man was college educated and the rest of his writings indicated as much, so I don’t know if he was the actual composer or not. The date of the original letter was circa 1943.

I want to be where you is
instead of where I be
for when I are where you are not
that ain’t no place to be.

I used to think the world was great
but now it has a taint
for I have gone where you is not
and left you where I ain’t.

Also in some of these writings I ran across a couple of acronyms that came into being in that time period. The first is SNAFU – the cleaned up civilian definition is “situation normal all fouled up”. The second was FUBAR – again this is civilianized – “fouled up beyond all recognition”. The first of these I have heard many times – the second I had forgotten. They were both used to describe the method of operation of things in the military. ec

To be continued.

7 Comments:

Blogger Bonita said...

I like stuff like this - especially the FUBAR. Problem is, I can't always remember what they stand for - LOL.

1/02/2006 11:32:00 AM  
Blogger thebeloved said...

I also have scattering pieces leftover, a paragraph here, a paragraph there. Some of them aren't even paragraphs and couldn't be posted in such neat little compartments such as you have for your "leftover" here.

1/02/2006 03:42:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

bonita - Me too - but go figure why SNAFU hung around and FUBAR fell into disuse.

thebeloved - One side of my small study/computer room has the computer and the other has a built in desk. The surface of the desk can only be seen partially for the papers, books, pamplets, envelopes, pens, notebooks, etc. ec

1/02/2006 04:50:00 PM  
Blogger me said...

I first came across SNAFU while playing Trivial Pursuit as a teen. The answer was not the "cleaned up version" and when my friends father ( a pastor) discovered the card he tossed their entire game!

Thanks for visiting my blog! I'll be back to visit you again :)

1/02/2006 05:32:00 PM  
Blogger jay are said...

yay! word stuffs. :)
Loved the little poem. Some people are so clever with words; you just sigh with pleasure as you read.
Look forward to Part Two.

1/03/2006 02:06:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

lis - Glad you came by the patch - stop in again.

jay are - I am very much a word and phrase appreciator myself. ec

1/03/2006 10:04:00 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

FUBAR has not fallen into disuse. My Army son (Nat'l Guard but 8 years regular Army before that) uses the unexpurgated version all the time.

And don't forget Lima Bravo Sierra

Lost Bigger than S***

1/03/2006 03:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home