My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Cookeville

Cookeville, Tennessee continues to impress me as a very family oriented area with a good school system as well. They have a decent number of shopping places plus Nashville is only about an hour away.

They have a restaurant row near the interstate with a good selection of decent chains, as well as most all the fast foods there and other places in town. There are two super Walmarts in the area – wow – and a Sam’s wholesale recently opened!! What more could a person really want?

As you may have already guessed, I’m still in Tennessee with OD for at least another week to aid in her recovery. Of course my length of stay depends on FIL’s condition remaining somewhat stable – but that is very iffy as I write this missive.

In ‘beautiful’ downtown Cookeville they have a bakery that is unlike any we have back on my home turf. It’s the ‘Great Harvest Bread Co’, and their claim to fame is whole grain bread and pastries baked on site. They bake what they think the demand will be on a given day and if they have sold out of your favorite item, you just have to get it another day or settle for a substitute.

This bakery even has a monthly menu to let everyone know which days they will be baking which items. One item I fell deeply in like with (one shouldn’t love things) is their ‘Mixed fruit Savannah bars’. They are cut in about 4 inch squares, are about ¾ inches thick and delightfully delicious with several kinds of fruit baked into the whole grain goodness.

One of the breads that OD will probably pick up today is called ‘Popeye’ bread – so named because along with the other natural ingredients (whole grain, red peppers, cheese, etc.), spinach is also included in the mix. The have a tasting counter and we checked it out the other day, but when we went back to get some, it was the wrong day – they only have it on Wednesday and Saturday. They make my favorite fruit bars every day but that day it was too late and they had run out.

When OD, SIL and GM2 returned from her basketball game, they had stopped by and picked up some ‘Popeye’ bread, a couple of Savannah bars and some Bar-B-Que. Shortly afterward I got up close and personal with my new-found favorite bread (with Bar-B-Que perched upon and round about thereof) and it was nearly wonderful. I’m saving the bars for later since I can only stand so many good things at one time.

All of the natural ingredients of my life must have the seasoning of the love of God in the mix to be worth anything to me or anyone else once the heat is on.

I must go now – I feel like I can hear Savannah bars calling my name and I must answer. ec

6 Comments:

Blogger Merle said...

WOW ~~ Mr Eddie, you are sure keen on that Bakery. I hope you are watching your waistline. The
products sound delicious. Just as well there is not a branch in your hometown. Clever bakers that can even get their Savannah
Bars to call out your name!!!
Enjoy while you can.

2/11/2006 09:25:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

merle - Yes, clever or devious one. :) Much will power limited me to just one of them. The other one will meet its end tomorrow. ec

2/11/2006 10:10:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I'm in the country now, and there's a little general store about two miles away. He does some baking. Today I picked up buttertarts (only in Canada I think) and an Apple Streusel Pie.

2/11/2006 10:35:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

AC - Haven't heard of buttertarts, they sound good, but I do like any type apple pie. Either of these with a cup of hot tea would go good. My hot tea drinking puts me in the minority around here as tea is mostly quaffed in its cold state and sweet. ec

2/12/2006 10:17:00 AM  
Blogger Madcap said...

Haven't heard of buttertarts? I'm feeling a bit faint, now... I didn't realize they were regional.... oh, you really must, Mr. Eddie.

2/12/2006 11:02:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

MCM - We may know them by another name - fruit turnovers possibly? Turnovers are made with flaky dough baked with fruit folded inside. ec

2/12/2006 12:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home