My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Monday, January 30, 2006

insects - 1

At this writing, it was toward the end of September and as usual it was still very warm. I am passing this along now to give you a reminder of the seasonal things we are missing at present – some good and some not so much so. As most yards are, my outdoor area was populated by large numbers of different varieties of insects. Some are beneficial in their actions, a few can be both good and bad but many are not good at all.

One particular one that I haven’t found any use for is the gnat, with the possible exception of adding a little flavor to the food eaten at outdoor affairs – I really miss them – not! Some of these little rascals bite and on occasion, as I am weeding the garden, one of the bad ones happens by to see what I taste like. These critters really sting, and one of the small joys of my day is when I happen to catch one before he makes his getaway and I smash and grind its irritating little body into tiny bits – never to bite anyone or anything again.

The window over the kitchen sink is the one from which I can view my entire garden and in the area that the zinnias were still blooming I saw a plethora of butterflies – these of several colors. It was a multicolored dance as they fluttered from flower to flower. Like sign language telling the awesomeness of God’s creations.

There were some darker ones, several of an orange color and a few yellows as well. They seemed to be having so much fun that a hummingbird happened by to check out the festivities. A group of three butterflies came fluttering across the driveway playing tag, or so it seemed to me. It was probably considerably more serious to them as it may have had something to do with a mating ritual.

There are several species of wasps and bees in evidence and they do a yeoman’s job of pollinating veggies and fruit bearing entities starting in the spring and all through the warm months. These stinger-bearing insects are not intent on harming anyone and will not unless it’s in self-defense. But it is a bit disconcerting to be working in the blueberries in spring and have them constantly buzzing around your head.

To be continued. ec

6 Comments:

Blogger Bonita said...

I find the fruit fly an unwelcome guest in my kitchen in September - Tephritidae and Drosophilidae, fancy names for a nasty bunch of inbreeders overstaying their welcome! Just check out the hundreds of mutations that originate in our kitchens:

www.exploratorium.edu/exhibits/mutant_flies/mutant_flies.html

1/30/2006 01:26:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

No insect of any kind is welcome inside, even the ladybugs that sneak in somehow and get in the light fixtures - how do they do that? ec

1/30/2006 09:12:00 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Around August and September we start to get lots of spiders. There are these HUGE brown ones that come up through the bathroom drain. Since I have been married and living in apartments this has not happened, but at my parent's house they are plentiful! I remember many mornings pulling back the shower curtain and screaming bloody-murder because of a spider. (I am deathly afraid of spiders!) My mom, dad, or brother were always the ones called upon to kill it.

1/30/2006 10:54:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Outside things (spiders, bugs, etc.) should remain outside and my living space should be free of them. I seldom kill a spider outside because of the bad bugs they eat, but if they are inside they are fair game. ec

1/30/2006 11:19:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Mr Eddie ~~ So it's insects today!!.
They are OK outside and the
butterflys sounded lovely. Like
your other readers, I do not like spiders when they come in to visit, they usually get half a can of flyspry!!! Thanks for your visit etc. Cheers.

1/31/2006 06:03:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

merle - Yes, they have a function outside but not where I'm trying to sleep or eat. ec

1/31/2006 08:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home