My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Friday, January 20, 2006

instant pudding - 1

All seriousness aside, I’m going to tell you why I don’t like J---o instant pudding or any other instant brand. There are many reasons, so I have put them together in loose categories and will comment on each as I go along. The first and largest group of dislikes has to do with the ingredients. These particular ones were listed on a butterscotch pudding box. As you probably know, ingredients are listed in order according to the amount of that substance contained in the product.

#1-Ingredients: A- Sugar and dextrose – Sugar is something sweet that can cause a person to be fat. Dextrose is something sweet that can cause a person to be fat. The question comes to mind – why use two somethings sweet that can cause fatness when it would be simpler to use one something sweet in greater amounts? Maybe they think only little kids eat the stuff and won’t realize they are getting double sweeted.

B-Modified Tapioca starch – why would they want to modify Tapioca starch? Is the process painful to the starch? What if the starch doesn’t want to be modified? Will this keep the starch from reproducing? As you can see this ingredient raises more questions than it answers and I don’t care for that.

C-Sodium phosphates – not knowing exactly what this was, I looked it up. Sodium is a silver white soft waxy ductile element of the alkali metal group that occurs abundantly in combined form and is very active chemically – and metal, in pudding? Phosphate is an organic compound of phosphoric acid in which the acid unit is bound to nitrogen or a carboxyl group in a way that permits energy to be released.

What I get out of that was that something that is very active chemically is combined with something bound up so energy can be released. It sounds to me like they would explode if not properly mixed. If some terrorist organization got hold of this information, they would infiltrate the pudding industry, mix the sodium phosphates wrong and blow the faces off millions of little kids as they mix up their instant pudding. How dare they put dangerous stuff in their innocent looking pudding boxes!

D-Salt – when salt in large amounts is put into something sweet, it is either an accident or a cruel joke. So I wonder which it is? But it gets worse still.

E-Hydrogenated Soybean oil – Why would they want hydrogen in the soybean oil? But then I noticed that right after hydrogenate in the dictionary was listed hydrogen bomb and suddenly this too becomes a very explosive issue! And as if this wasn’t enough, this same soybean oil is preserved with BHA!! I have no idea what that is but why don’t they spell it out instead of using those letters? I probably couldn’t pronounce it, but at least I would have the comfort of knowing what it was – after I looked it up. They must be afraid folks won’t eat the stuff anymore if they knew what those letters meant!

F-Di and monoglycerides – I had to break the words down to get the real meaning. Glycerides are esters of glycerol especially with fatty acids. So, with mono meaning one and di meaning two, this is the old one-two punch to make very sure you get fat when you eat this pudding.

To be continued. ec

10 Comments:

Blogger Bonita said...

Lets get our gardens planned, and after this review, lets go strictly organic...no pesticides, herbacides. I get your point - what ARE we consuming?

1/20/2006 11:44:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

bonita - We never really know what we put in our body when it is "processed" stuff. ec

1/20/2006 07:08:00 PM  
Blogger Lance Mac said...

Awesome stuff, Mr. E. It is amazing what we allow into our bodies when we aren't thinking about it. I am really trying to go very-low processed foods this year as I definitely think that it is having serious health consequences on my fragile body. I'll go eat a nectarine now.

1/20/2006 07:56:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

morpheus - Glad to have inspired you to nectarine eating. :) ec

1/20/2006 08:28:00 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Oh no! I love vanilla instant pudding! You have changed my view of it forever! Maybe that is a good thing though. :) Perhaps I can find a recipe for homemade vanilla pudding. At least then I would be able to see and handle everything that goes into it! :)

1/20/2006 11:36:00 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

I found a recipe! I am posting it on my blog. Tomorrow I am going to make it and let you know how it turns out! :) How fun!

1/20/2006 11:42:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have a very simple reason for not liking instant pudding: the taste is terrible.

1/21/2006 01:00:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

adannells - Make sure you make it with a few lumps for romance sake. :)

SSN - It seemed to leave me with an aftertaste as well - this from before I stopped eating it. ec

1/21/2006 07:34:00 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

Ew, sounds disgusting. First grits, now something full of chemicals. modified starch means genetically modified starch... something I avoid. Also hydrogenated fats in any form as they're even worse than saturated fats. I can't imagine what this stuff must taste like but am very thankful it's not exported to Europe. As far as I know, anyway.. I've noticed that those vile 'cake mix' things have started appearing on our shelves. Perhaps it'll be 'instant vanilla pudding' next. Generally I avoid packets unless they have only one thing in them (eg rice or dried beans).

1/23/2006 12:17:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

sue - It would be better if folks would read the ingredients before consuming - they usually don't sound very appetizing at all. ec

1/23/2006 01:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home