My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Sunday, January 15, 2006

grunt monkeys

All our "grand" ones are affectionally called grunt monkeys (GM) by their Pop-pop - me. Their title designation also indicates their order of birth - the first being GM1 all the way down to GM6. The spice of my life and I are still visiting in Tennessee for a few more days - this being the residence of GM2 and GM5.

The snow descibed in yesterday's posting is now a scraggily fading memory of what used to be. It wasn't ever a really proper snowman building type of snow in either consistency or amount but OD (older daughter) did get some "Kodak moments" - and it was SNOW!

GM2 had a basketball game in the morning (Sat.) and we allowed her Mom and Dad to see her play w/o GM5's interference . Granna and I sat with him as he continues his quest for upright mobility. He is 11 months old now and not far at all from bipedal locomotion.

Bouncing to another subject as I am sometimes prone to do - even though I'm seated at the moment - OD and SIL's dining table is somewhat different inasmuch as it is 36 inches tall (kitchen counter height) and 5 feet square with 8 chair backed stools - I really like the idea.

This area in which they reside is some kind of beautiful and even though my roots are pretty deep in S. C. soil, if I ever moved out of that state, the state of Tennessee would be one of my first choices. Our family lived just North of Chattanooga for about 1 1/2 years when I was much younger - circa 1948-49.

God created all types of terrain but for some reason rolling hills seem to suit me very well. ec

8 Comments:

Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Mreddie,

Looks like you are having a Grand time visiting the grands! :)

IMHO- Grandkids are one of God's greatest gifts to us!

My youngest is now 15-( we have 4)and I so miss when they were all little !
We had a lot of good times , here in the country with all the farm animals- bon fires in winter-all the holidays together... I 'live in the past' a lot... talk about my grandkids often on my blog site!

June


http://journals.aol.com/juniper5541/JunipersWorld/

1/15/2006 11:29:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

bubba - They have been called several other names - lovingly of course - but it has evolved to these. Then on a case-by-case basis they have been called many other things - also in an affectionate way. :)

junierose - The thought did occur that wouldn't it have been more fun if we could have just skipped the kids and went straight to grand-kids. :) ec

1/15/2006 12:51:00 PM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Lol! Yah, we've thought of that too!!

(of course, you and I are both joking-aren't we? 'cause KIDS are special too! :) )

....Maybe 'Grands' are extra special to us because we don't have full responsibility of raising them!
...However, I was a 'HANDS ON' granny with mine!

June

1/15/2006 01:51:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

junierose - Just tongue in cheek because if we are not open for the problems and hurts, we also don't know the joys. ec

1/15/2006 03:08:00 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

My husband and I would love to travel to all the states in the east. I have been to South Carolina once when I was 13 with my grandparents. It was in the month of July and I remember how shocking the humidity was to me! But even still I thought it was a beautiful state and wished we could have visited others. Perhaps someday soon we will be able to take a road trip across the country. :) (I love what you call your grandchildren!!)

1/15/2006 07:38:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

adannells - That is such a coincidence - one of the things that I told my bride not long after we were married is that I wanted to spend the night in every state in the union. It has not happened yet but still may happen. ec

1/16/2006 12:06:00 AM  
Blogger granny p said...

I'll see if my grandchildren like being called grunt monkeys.... Tennessee? Mythical to me...Davy Crocket, 'born on mountaintop', or Frank ?Crumit 'come my love come, come alonga me and I'll take you down to Tennessee..' sung to me by my mother in tender moments, a long time ago

1/16/2006 04:57:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

granny p - They started out as just "grunts" but evolved into the more formal grunt monkeys as more arrived. :) ec

1/16/2006 08:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home