My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Thursday, January 05, 2006

son of leftovers - 2

Sports-wise, I have too many leftover months between the last college football bowl game (sniff) and the first gridiron contest in the fall. The super bowl is not even to my liking – just not the same as college to me. Basketball is a non-event to my way of thinking – college or pro – I think I’d rather trim my toenails. I will watch baseball a bit – if I’m recovering from an injury or illness – and my remote is broken. I enjoy track and field events, but they are few and far between. A replacement sport is needed – do they play tiddlywinks any more?

My career with Southern Bell/BellSouth lasted almost 38 years and during the last 10 or 15 years we were required to wear uniform work clothes. We were told to not wear these out in public after retirement since on them is emblazoned the company logo, we cannot give them to anyone for the same reason. These are leftover clothes and are worn around the house and to work in the yard – on a couple of the jackets the logos have been blacked out and they have been worn locally on everyday jaunts – kind of got used to them.

One thing is for sure, if I ever have to work out in the yard during a blizzard, I will have the clothing for it. Of course, the chances of us having a blizzard around here are pretty slim and the chances of me working out in the yard in that kind of weather are even slimmer. It’s a funny thing though, the jackets and shirts all still seem to fit very well, but the waist of the pants are getting a bit snug – faulty material I guess.

As I go about my everyday life I don’t notice a lot of leftover joy in others, in fact, most don’t have nearly enough and some could even be considered joyless. The meaning of the word joyless seems a bit uncertain to me – I’m not sure if it means that the ones identified as such just don’t have enough or if they are into deficit joy. Some might have to stand outside in a downpour of joy for two days to come up with just a tad of glad.

I’m just weird enough that when somebody tells me I can have something really good – like joy – I just have to say, OK, sign me up – especially when the message comes from somebody that I believe and trust – like God. ec

8 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

Downpour of joy- Oh!!! Won't it be like that in Heaven?! True joy at all times, rejoicing and worshipping and praising. :-)

Also, " trim my toenails"????? Come ON!!! I don't really like watching pro basketball, but college is OK and playing, well, that's fantastic!!!!

1/05/2006 10:09:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Here, we have many months to go in the hockey season. That's the Canadian passion. I tend to agree with your feelings about basketball.

1/05/2006 10:14:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

jayleigh - The downpour of joy thing, I tend to receive those on a fairly regular basis, but I know it will be better there. I might have a different feeling about round ball if I had ever played a large amount but such was not the case. I even like volleyball, but it is not on TV much - everybody is different. ec

AC - Track and field is a real charge for me but it is rarely on and then they just show mostly highlights. The races will bring me to the edge of my chair every time - I guess because I was a jogger for many years and can relate just a little. ec

1/05/2006 01:47:00 PM  
Blogger thebeloved said...

Downpour--there is a song called Grace Like Rain and I enjoy it because I always envision the drenching rain we would get in Osaka, Japan in July. The typhoons brought down a lot of water and the image of being happily drenched in minutes has never left me.

1/05/2006 02:44:00 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Just this morning at Bible Study we watched a DVD with John Piper preaching (if you have never read one of his books I highly recommend you do!). He was speaking on joy and if as believers we do not have joy in the Lord then there must be something wrong. He was saying that joy in the Lord is an essential part of the believers walk! It really challenged me to rejoice in the Lord more.

1/05/2006 06:46:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I experienced a lot of joy today. Then I took a nap. Now, tonight, I am going to experience a lot more joy. I hope.

1/05/2006 07:37:00 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

I'm grateful that my jury duty is finally over, after two weeks. I have very little energy 'left-over'...I'm glad it is a happy place here, focusing on God's love and joy.

1/05/2006 08:23:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

thebeloved - If we Christians were more drenched with joy, it would certainly attract more folks to Christ.

adannells - In total agreement with the joy of the Lord being essential - the rejoicing not only stirs up what we have but has the effect of bringing more!

SSN - A nap and joy are both good things. :)

bonita - It was always a relief after my time was up of serving in that capacity. Even that can be rejoiced in. :) ec

1/05/2006 09:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home