My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

mo leftovers - 2

Continuing.

Here are a couple of quotes I ran across on the way to something else: “He is never less at leisure than when at leisure.” And “Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents, and everyone is writing a book.” Both sound modern but were written by Marcus Tullius Cicero – he lived from 106BC to 43BC. I glanced through some of his speeches but didn’t get much out of them – they were in Latin and were Greek to me.

Then there are the Latin words: veni, vidi, vici – the translation for that would be – I came, I saw, I conquered my vice – possibly. It seems to me that the word oxymoron should refer to a large bovine that is not very smart. From the dictionary - and possibly from writing style – I know that the word verbiage means an overabundance of words as in writing or speech, but I’ve never heard anyone at or above my reading level use the word videlicet - - - strange, huh?

Then there are odd, leftover thoughts that come to mind from time to time. Like – exactly how much is a pinch of something – this consternation comes from recipes that call for a pinch of salt or baking soda. Wouldn’t the actual amount vary from person to person and depend on several things, like: the size of the cook’s fingers, the amount the pinched substance can be compacted, the stuff’s adhesiveness to itself and even the moisture content of the pinching fingers. No wonder it takes years to be a chef – it’s because of all these inexact and difficult questions to deal with – also what to do with the leftovers.

There are leftovers that can be allowed to spoil a person’s peace of mind and even ruin their whole life. These would be the leftover hard feelings from past hurts. A spirit of revenge can even raise its ugly head. The holding of grudges and bad feelings mostly just hurts the ones that hold them. All that can really make things right is simply to forgive the one that has hurt us – make things right as much as it depends on you – but if that’s not possible, just forgive them. Didn’t say it was easy, but with God’s help it can be done. ec

12 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

I really like your idea of putting all these things together. I really enjoyed reading them! :) I have a notebook from high school with a lot of quotes and sayings that I thought were really great. You just gave me the great idea of posting them on my blog so more people can see them. (Hope you don't mind me using your idea!!)

1/03/2006 02:28:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

adannells - You are welcome to use anything contained herein - even ideas. ec

1/03/2006 02:38:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

There two mreddies. If you're the one who visited my blog this morning to comment on meat and dessert, welcome. If not, hi anyway.

1/03/2006 03:02:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

yep, it was you. I checked the link instead of guessing from madcap's blog.

Come back anytime.

1/03/2006 03:03:00 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

I, too, like the idea of not carrying left-over hurts, as the longer you carry them, the bigger they get. And, heavy too.

1/03/2006 05:57:00 PM  
Blogger grannyfiddler said...

some things never seem to have leftovers... like peace of mind, space in my home or garden, time with friends, paycheque at the end of the month, ideas...

1/03/2006 06:09:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

granny - Wow, two of me - that would be tough on the world - maybe on my wife as well. :)

bonita - It seems that some go through life carrying a grudge and you are right it has to be heavy.

grannyfiddler - Right, the good stuff gets used - and I too seem to have too much month left at the end of the money. ec

1/03/2006 08:18:00 PM  
Blogger thebeloved said...

Latin and Greek are both very entertaining languages to know, especially if you happen to be meandering among old texts. And much of them that I have read do actually sound shockingly like the modern day. There is nothing new under the sun.

1/03/2006 10:26:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Some blogs are better than others, videlicet this one. ;)

1/03/2006 10:47:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Speaking of leftovers, allow me to share a story:

I have a friend, Brian, who is a Lutheran pastor. His wife, Jane, is the daughter of missionaries who served in China immediately after World War II. Jane was taught by her parents to be frugal—actually “penny-pinching” is more like it. Jane never let anything go to waste, especially food.

The story Brian tells is that one evening he sat down to dinner, looked at the food on the table, and started eating.

Jane was appalled: “Brian, aren’t you going to say the blessing first?”

Brian: “Jane, if there is one thing on this table that hasn’t had a blessing said over it at least four times, point it out and I’ll bless it.”

1/03/2006 11:14:00 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Hehe! Love the blessing story, SSN!

BTW leftovers are best with GRAVY served over them, Eddie! :-)

1/04/2006 08:20:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

thebeloved - You are right, nothing new, just different people doing them.

AC - Thanks much - we still don't have anything close to snow - sigh.

SSN - Good story - I have a friend that will not bless leftovers either. :)

jayleigh - We have a local greasy spoon restaurant that I believe does that - baked chicken they have left from one day gets to be smothered chicken the next. :) ec

1/04/2006 09:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home