My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Saturday, January 21, 2006

instant pudding - 2

Most seriousness still aside I continue the pudding “rant”.

G-Caramel color, artificial color (includes yellow #5) – I just don’t like artificial color, I like things the color they are supposed to be. This brings the question to mind – what color was it before? If it was barf brown or slime green, then I guess I can understand them adding the color. Another question – why yellow #5? What happened to 1 through 4? I guess #5 killed fewer people during testing than the others but I would hate to be the guinea pig that causes #6 to be created.

H-Non-fat milk – In the light of the other fattening things found in the pudding, non-fat milk has to be only a token ingredient and to my way of thinking, it’s just too little, too late.

I-Natural and artificial flavors – One would have to say that natural and artificial are opposites and since opposites attract, I guess this is the pudding company’s way of trying to smooth over the controversy.

Another area of dislikes is in #2-Packaging and labeling.

A-The picture on the package – This shows pudding in a clear glass dessert dish. Absolutely nobody at my reading level eats pudding out of glass dishes – it’s always Tupperware! I’m amazed that they haven’t been taken to task about that because it’s so unreal. I feel they have isolated themselves from the general pudding eating population and possibly don’t even know that there is such a thing as Tupperware.

B-Labeling – Why would the package state that calories have been reduced in the contents? A person could reduce their calories even further by not eating the stuff at all. But what is wrong with good, honest, genuine calories? At least you wouldn’t have to worry about getting weird or artificial fat, you could have the real thing.

Last category – #3-Consistency – The pudding is just too smooth, and creamy, and perfect – with no lumps at all. Yet the lumps are the very things that give character to a pudding – along with a spirit of adventure. One can venture from lump to lump in homemade pudding, never knowing what delight their taste buds will find when they arrive. This also offers an air of expectancy, hardly being able to wait until the next lump is tasted.

Think also of the romance that would charge the air as you and your sweetheart spoke tenderly about the contents of each lump of pudding you ate. Can the instant puddings offer you these things? No – and a thousand times no – maybe this missive will be the thing that would start folks back to their homemade pudding roots. The start back may be slow at first but in my mind I can see hundreds, even thousands coming back to their lumpy heritage.

I want to leave a heritage or legacy for my daughters and grandchildren that I was a man that believed in God and His Word – and lived my life accordingly, is there a better one? ec

13 Comments:

Blogger Bonita said...

I enjoyed this little essay - especially the little lumps in the pudding - I look for them in my Malt-O-Meal. Just little surprises that must be delt with. Life is the same way. Now, if this was a bread recipe, you'd be bringing up the power of yeast, to make the dough rise - and just think of all the metaphors there...

1/21/2006 11:44:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

So right - life does have its surprises and the metaphoricalness of it all whacks my brain with regularity. :) ec

1/21/2006 12:40:00 PM  
Blogger jay are said...

excellent pudding rant. Loved it.

1/21/2006 04:46:00 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Well, I made the homemade vanilla pudding (complete with lumps) and it is yummy! The taste is just as satisfying as the instant pudding that I grew up on. Now whenever I want pudding I will just make it from scratch. I believe you have a convert! Teehee! I will definitely make this for my children. I honestly didn't expect that I would actually like it.
I was wondering what you do when you make banana pudding. Do you mash up the bananas and add them to the milk mixture while it is cooking, or do you wait until after? I was thinking that I could also puree some strawberries, put them through a strainer to get the seeds out and make strawberry pudding.
Thanks for putting the idea in my head. I love discovering new things even when it is something small, like homemade pudding. :)

1/21/2006 07:32:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

jay are - Thanks, I loved "ranting". :)

adannells - Yes, and the lumps give it character. :) Haven't made banana flavored pudding - the banana pudding I make is the old fashioned kind I was raised on with the banana slices, vanilla wafers and meringue on top. If you made the strawberry, those little seeds would be part of the character as well. :) ec

1/21/2006 08:06:00 PM  
Blogger Lanie Dinecola said...

Wow Mr. Eddie- from the pudding to the toilet paper, you always bring it back home. I love it. (oh.. I'm a friend of Allisons... that's how I found you.)

1/21/2006 10:30:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lumps in the pudding? I never thought of it before, but maybe that’s why I am so fond of tapioca?

1/22/2006 01:31:00 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

Since the days of my youth, strecheeees memory, I've not really been a pudding person, my Mum was an excellent cook, who never used a packet mix in her life, was my last Pudding Cook.

1/22/2006 02:07:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

lanie dinecola - Thanks and thanks for stopping by the "patch".

SSN - That would tend to push a person in the lumpy direction. :)

peter - Maybe you should try it again, but make a few lumps for the adventure and romance. :) ec

1/22/2006 08:35:00 AM  
Blogger Yours Truly said...

Mr.Eddie, (perhaps I shall just call you that, as I read that mentioned here!) Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog, as I enjoy hearing from visitors from all places of the globe! I like your poem, and the pudding rant! Oh, and toilet paper, definitely "over the top!"
A happy beginning of the week to you!

1/22/2006 12:54:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

yours truly - Thanks much for the visit and the comments. ec

1/23/2006 07:14:00 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

efkbrI'm with you Mr Eddie. Food and pudding is just not meant to be blue!

1/28/2006 03:14:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

michelle - I'm with you - if something is an odd color so what, let's just let it be natural. ec

1/28/2006 10:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home