My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Sunday, March 12, 2006

keepsakes

A keepsake is defined as anything kept, or given to be kept, as a token of friendship or affection, also a remembrance. You may have noticed that I have posted a few of my writings preceded by a KS in the title – short for keepsakes. This series of writings chronicles a portion of my life from 1959 until 1964 – it mostly includes my army enlistment and the time following until about a year after I got married.

This whole series was inspired by some few keepsakes I noticed around the house, that lead to some documents saved from the army, letters that my Mom had saved and letters written back and forth from my sweet one and I. It started out as only a few pages and wound up much more. It is about many dumb choices I made as well as a few good ones. I feel even the dumb choices can be of value to someone, especially my young ones as they strive to live their own lives and even my “grand ones” as they come along.

Anyway, I hope you will enjoy the KS series – I will post them a couple of days a week until they run out.

Striving to encourage my kids and grands (and anyone else that will listen) is what I’m about. That reminds me of a scripture found in the Old Testament. In Joshua 24:15 it says: “And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve”….“but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.”

He offered his nation a choice as to whom they would worship and serve. God offers us a choice today as to who we will serve – the choices are either God or to live without God. Which choice will be made? ec

9 Comments:

Blogger Bonita said...

The choice really comes down to that - do we embrace the divine, or live in ignorance and poverty. Nice post, MrEddie.

3/12/2006 11:24:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3/12/2006 02:23:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, the elders accepted Joshua’s challenge to serve YHWH. But it wasn’t long before they forgot!

3/12/2006 02:24:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

bonita - Yes, the fear (awe) of God is the beginning of wisdom.

SSN - That seems to be humankind's problem even today - forgetting God. ec

3/12/2006 08:23:00 PM  
Blogger Sky said...

Hi,

Thanks for coming by to say hello!

In response to your qt. on my blog about my location in the south - I lived in the Atlanta area before moving to Puget Sound. I have traveled in SC, however, especially in the coastal area around Beaufort and Hunting Island and Hilton Head. I have visited Columbia, Greenville, and the Westminster areas of SC several times.

3/12/2006 10:43:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

sky - Small world, we lived in Augusta for a while but most of our married life has been in this area of S.C. We have lived in our present home since 1980. Early spring seems to be upon us down here. ec

3/13/2006 12:08:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr Eddie ~ This sounds like a good story coming up. We all have some
keepsakes, so should be interesting.

Hope the family are feeling a little
better by now. Cheers, Merle.

3/13/2006 12:30:00 AM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

Joshusa is one of my favorites from the Old Testiment. And then you responded with another from Proverbs. Two admonitions, which if we knew nothing else, would lead to a wonderful life.

3/13/2006 07:37:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

merle - It is a story of wandering away from God and then a homecoming. The family's grieving process will take some time, as you know.

TMG - He is one of mine as well, so much symbolism about coming into the promised land and us today coming into the Christ led life. ec

3/13/2006 09:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home