My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Friday, April 21, 2006

the smile

To say that a smile was playing at the corners of my mouth would be a gross understatement or a total miscalculation of verbiage. This was not a playful expression, it was a serious smile and that explanation might be considered an oxymoron. The word oxymoron sounds like it should be descriptive of a large, very dumb, bovine but in this case it is definitive of a somewhat dumb looking, yet very serious smile.

As you might possibly know, to smile is to assume a facial expression usually indicating pleasure, favor, or amusement, characterized by an upturning of the corners of the mouth. Serious is a word not to be taken lightly, because it is of, showing, or characterized by deep thought. Serious can also mean earnest or sincere – and certainly not trifling. The word can also pertain to things weighty, important, or significant.

To put the two words together, I come up with a smile big enough to spread all over myself. Then there is the question of whether or not the smile – with which I had armed myself – was disarming enough? But how can one smile with their arms? Then the greater or main question would be: From whence cometh the smile and what has caused this soul emollient to happen.

To answer my own question, as I often do, it was caused, as it often is, by my gruntmonkeys (grandchildren). The two older, GM1 and GM2, have been doing very well in school and have been recognized for it – that is smile worthy. GM3, not quite 4 as yet, regaled his Pop-pop (me) the other day with a very animated vocal – in addition to hand motions – explanation as to why he ran to his Dad from a girl – smart boy.

GM4 – the 2 ½ year old – has a charm all his own and possesses a smile that would melt a stone heart. GM5, that turned 1 in February, has started vocalizing his requests – nay, demands – in terms and volumes that cannot be ignored. It is so odd that when he calls Granna, (my Spice) it comes from deep within and in loud volume but when he calls Pop-pop, it is in hushed and whispered tones.

GM6 is 15 days younger than GM5 and is also a real case study. One can always tell when he is either tired or sick because he suddenly starts to do all the things he has been told not to do – in rapid succession. None of the boys usually enjoy being held for any length of time – a boy thing, I guess. This morning while I was sitting them, - the three local ones - they suddenly all wanted to be held at once – that brought back the big smile.

At my age a smile is about the only thing – outside of surgery – that improves my looks. So when I’m smiling, I’m either improving my looks or showing on the outside the joy of the Lord that is inside – or more than likely, both. ec

10 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

What a group. I have a GM6, I think. Older of course.

Do they all turn up at once?

4/22/2006 12:06:00 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

We just commented on each others blogs almost simultaneously.

Thanks for the good wishes. The storm warnings are still a couple of counties away so maybe it will veer off.

4/22/2006 12:17:00 AM  
Blogger Ivy the Goober said...

I look forward to (someday, but not too soon) having some "gruntmonkeys" - my son when he was little could not stand to be held. Unless he was sick and that was rare. He wanted down, he wanted to "GO" all the time. But my daughter, oh, I got to make up for all the holding and cuddling I'd missed out on, because she wouldn't let me put her down until she was about 5!

4/22/2006 12:39:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

granny - Seldom do we have them all at once but quite often we have the four locals - GM1, GM3, GM4, and GM6. They are very cute, but a bit noisy at times. On the commenting at the same time - could we say that great minds run together? :) ec

4/22/2006 12:39:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

ivy - Our first gruntmonkey was a girl and she and I got along great - her and her Mom lived with us for 6 years. The little one and I would sit and watch cartoons together. Those little boys do seem to be on the go all the time. ec

4/22/2006 12:44:00 AM  
Blogger Bonita said...

There is also a smile that comes with prayer that is unlike any other smile. It makes eyes glisten and hearts soften, and the corners of the mouth smile and rest at the same time.

4/22/2006 05:36:00 PM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Oh, EC,

I so envy you!

The young years of my grandchildren were , probably, the best of my life! We had close, almost constant , contact with three of them, and almost as much with the 4th! Now- they are all grown up...with our youngest past 15 now!

:) Really, I will try NOT to envy you- for that is probably not good to do.
..SO-I will just say I'm very happy for you and your wife to still be enjoying the pleasures of young GRANDS!

June

4/23/2006 12:52:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

bonita - I'm so in agreement with you - that is the type of smile the world can't take away.

junierose - They are a joy to me and my hope is that they will continue to be. But I know it will be different when they get to be teens and have their own interests. Then the grandparents are not quite as cool as they were - I'll just have to work harder. :) ec

4/23/2006 03:51:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

Great minds certainly do run together and it happens with many more blogs than yours.

There is probably an answer involving physics and the fourth dimension but I prefer the "great minds" approach.

Ann

4/23/2006 06:14:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

granny - OK, that settles it - "great minds" it is. :) ec

4/23/2006 09:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home