My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

tilling

The time to plant the garden had once more arrived but before this could happen, the ground had to be tilled. Tilling – defined – is to labor, as by plowing or harrowing, upon the land for the raising of crops. Plowing takes the meaning deeper and this is using an agricultural implement for cutting, lifting, turning over, and partly pulverizing the soil. Harrowing is using an implement for leveling and breaking up clods in plowed land.

A tiller is a person who tills – me – it is also a thing that tills, which is my gas-driven, front tined tiller. The proper tilth is what the tiller is trying to reach with his tiller. Tilth is the physical condition of cultivated soil in relation to plant growth. The state of tilth in the soil I was striving to reach was that of loose and even a bit fluffy if possible. Loose is much easier to reach than fluffy.

Tired means to be exhausted, fatigued or wearied – and this is what I was when I finished tilling not only my garden but the daughter’s as well. A tiff is a slight or petty quarrel and a tiff is what the tiller had with his tiller. The tiff happened when the tiller wouldn’t cooperate with the tiller, the latter being me. This resulted in constant yanking and wrestling with the very obstinate tiller, not totally unlike wrestling with a medium sized bovine. To add to the misunderstanding was the fact that it happened on a day when the temp was about 90F.

A tier is one of a series of rows or ranks rising one behind or above another. In cultivation it is also called a terrace and my garden is made up of four of these tiers or terraces. Even though these are small, this made the tilling even more difficult because of going from tier to tier.

A tiler is a person that installs tile. Tile is defined as a thin slab of baked clay, sometimes painted or glazed, used for various purposes, as in forming a covering for a floor. Tile is also any of various similar slabs or pieces, as of linoleum, stone or metal. Tile was what I would have been willing to lay down on in my exhausted from tilling state, fortunately we had carpet, so I crashed on that to recover from my toilsome labor.

The tilling happened last Friday and Saturday – the planting started on Monday. The tomato plants were installed then and on Tuesday the squash seed were planted. It’s not that these two jobs took that long but that I only had a limited time to work on them those two days. Each of the steps of having a garden has their own joy and sorrow – and back aches.

Got up a little earlier than usual this morning (before noon) and finished planting the last two tiers. This effort was made because rain had been predicted. The planted was completed and I had only been inside about five minutes when a shower came. God is good – and His timing is great! ec

6 Comments:

Blogger Bonita said...

What dignity of words you employ to digging and planting, both of which I'm still doing today. Carrots, parsley, onions and tomatoes are in or up, and I'm ready to 'set' a spell myself. Good luck with the tilling, tiling, and toiling....

4/19/2006 03:38:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

bonita - Thanks and I hope your garden does well. I have three small beds left to plant - mostly flowers and misc. ec

4/19/2006 10:46:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Mreddie, you have just explained why I do not plant gardens.

4/19/2006 10:53:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - It is definitely a labor of love. I just enjoy watching things grow - especially those that I plant. ec

4/20/2006 09:32:00 PM  
Blogger grannyfiddler said...

i'm due to start some tilling and toiling myself, as things are warming, here in the near north. my tomatoes will go in the greenhouse as soon as i can fix the roof of it. raining and blowing here today, so this will not be the day that is accomplished.

4/21/2006 04:16:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

grannyfiddler - It's not really hard work if it is something one enjoys - and I do. Still haven't got the flowers in yet, but the veggies are planted. ec

4/21/2006 11:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home