My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Friday, April 07, 2006

birds

It was on another day, in another place and the birds had known for some time now that spring had really sprung and they reacted accordingly, filling the air with many different songs. The variations of their notes seem almost endless, allowing each species to identify their own.

There are even some copycat birds that imitate the calls of others, namely the mockingbird, some time ago I heard one of these try to sound like a hawk and it sounded like a fair representation of that call, but I don't think it struck any fear into any little fowl hearts.

Each melodious language helps them mark their territory, win a mate and keep in contact with them for the whole season. At times they sing for extended periods simply for the joy of being able to do it and praising their Creator in so doing.

I've read about and observed many of the mating rituals and dances of these feathered aviators and have been amazed and amused by them. One of these sightings was just outside a local Huddle House, near the base of a newspaper vending machine.

The two participants were tiny sparrows, the female was a drab brownish color, as were they both, but one had additional dark markings on wings and head that identified it as the male. They seemed oblivious to anything else around them, and though it only took a few seconds, the male's bobbing dance with flared wings seemed to be a fairly good effort.

The female seemed to be totally unimpressed and promptly flew away, in appearance unaware of all the energy and style shown by her small suitor. But the now solo male appeared to be less effected by the rejection than I was and flew away to dance again at another time and in another place. ec

13 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

The robins must not be ecstatic to be here this past week. I went out this monring because the sun looked so inviting. but it 23F and windy. Brrr!

4/08/2006 10:28:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4/08/2006 12:10:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good morning. I am trying to understand why you waste your time writing for free, when you could be making real money with books.
The ivory tower kind would be you. Essays, stories, or whatever that put delight into the heart and mind of your readers.
Truly a God-given talent and its your readers, like me, who benefit from it. Thank you.

See you, Betty G

4/08/2006 12:11:00 PM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

Our bird feeder is the most popular spot the neighborhood. We have a flock of purple finchs which have taken ownership. The action on our deck is much better than TV.
I must say I agree totally with Betty.

4/08/2006 12:28:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

AC - Wow - that's cold enough to freeze goose bumps - or robin bumps in their case. :)

boopchile - Right now I consider what I do as an outward expression of the joy that God has put inside and in a small way, a ministry of sorts - and an enjoyment to me. But I thank you for saying that and who knows know what the future holds in this regard. ec

4/08/2006 12:35:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

TMG - These flying critters can be very entertaining to watch. I was surprised the other day to see a hawk perched atop one of the rails that holds the net on the trampoline - beautiful! Thanks for what I consider a large compliment. ec

4/08/2006 12:43:00 PM  
Blogger thebeloved said...

I am glad that you find thankfulness in the little blessings we are given every day. I hvae enjoyed the birds here too, but haven't been able to sit and watch them... Thanks so much for your stories!

4/08/2006 11:18:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have been ion love with some human versions of that female sparrow.

4/08/2006 11:20:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

thebeloved - Being thankful begats more thankfulness and gratitude has a way of correcting my spiritual vision. Thanks for your kind words.

SSN - Ah yes, those are the flighty kind and I do remember some of those from my single days - of course back then I was a little flighty as well. ec

4/08/2006 11:55:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Mr Eddie ~ Interesting post. Most birds are nice. I had a blackbird nest
near my back door in amongst a Wisteria bush. They would come back and forth with food for the babies and
got used to me not being a threat.
Thanks for comment at my site.
You are as young as you feel.
Even when we are old, we don't feel old. Cheers, Merle.

4/09/2006 03:00:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

merle - We have an abundance of birds around the home place and I much enjoy watching them when I have the time. I credit them with keeping the bug population down a bit. ec

4/09/2006 09:27:00 AM  
Blogger Using up the words.... said...

I wish I could be so blasé about my dancing. hehehe.
or just be more flippant?

Hope all is well in your corner of the yard. You ready to start planting?!

4/09/2006 04:23:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

UUTW - If the quality of my dancing was my only attraction, I would probably still be alone. :) All seems to be well here and if the weather holds, this is to be the week of the planting of the garden. ec

4/10/2006 06:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home