My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Golf

The heaviest flow of traffic that nearby Augusta, Georgia has happens during this week in April every year. Those that live in this area or have visited during this peak traffic period know why – for the others, this is the week of the Master’s Golf Tournament at the Augusta National Golf Club. For years now the schools in the area have taken this week as their spring break and many of the local residents just leave town.

Most, if not all, the restaurants in the area put on extra help and it is rumored that the prices on the menu go up as well. The locals either eat earlier in the day or just wait to eat out after the tournament is over. Plus, if we go to Augusta at all, there are certain routes that we do not travel.

My daughter (OD) used to work at the National, helping in the workings of the planning and bringing together the tournament. She quit when her husband’s job caused a family move but they come back to the area every year for this event. The reason for that is that SIL works the tournament as a scorekeeper, one of many. This job is not a paid position but all that work get to play the course a little later in the year – a very big deal if you are familiar with this course and golf at all.

OD, SIL, and their two gruntmonkeys, GM2 and GM5 are in temporary residence with us and as always, it is a hoot to have them here. There are opportunities for baby-sitting, like right now, when others happen to be out and about. My Spice, MIL and OD are out shopping, SIL is at the course, GM2 is at her other grandparents’ – so GM5 and I are hanging out here at the house, keeping the home fires burning, so to speak.

This is somewhat confining but I do get to write some when the young man is down for a nap – such as now. In the past I have spoken to folks that come down for this event and they have always been impressed with the beauty of the flowers and such – but this is our normal time of year when most of the natural beauty of the area is at its peak.

All around the house here the trees and/or bushes are in progressive stages of putting forth leaves, even the figs that got nipped back by the late frost. The veggie garden has finally been debrambled and weeded enough to till up the ground for planting, but that is scheduled for next week after OD and clan depart for their home turf.

The shoppers are due to wind up their efforts shortly so I had best get this posted. I end by saying that God is good, all the time. ec

10 Comments:

Blogger Using up the words.... said...

and all the time, God is good!

Have fun with the family.
cj

4/06/2006 10:40:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

Hi. I wish for good weather although to me watching golf is like watching paint dry. My Giants just started their season and I will stick them.

The floods were serious enough here to make the national news. I've heard from people all over who picked up on the name of the city. We finally have a few dry days (maybe) but people are still camped out in shelters and the flooding affected some of the poorest sections of town.

I don't normally fall out on the floor but some nights I do well to make it to the bed. We're okay; just a little discouraged at times.

Thanks.

4/06/2006 11:56:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

stick to them. (That sure sounded strange when I read what I'd typed. I hit post much too soon).

4/06/2006 11:57:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It is spring—and I am overjoyed! I suppose the Master’s Tournament is one indication of spring—but the new leaves and flowers are even better ones. I’m glad you have both!

4/07/2006 12:16:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

UUTW - Yes He is! We are having a hoot - as I am prone to say.

granny - I've only been to the tournament just a very few times - mostly to be able to say that I have gone. Your Giants seem to have beaten our Braves - hope that doesn't continue. :) Sometimes I hit the publish way too soon as well. ec

4/07/2006 12:20:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - In the minds of some around this area, our spring seems to me of lesser value than the tournament, but not to me. This has always been my favorite season because of the symbolism of the creation being reborn. And then Easter, celebrating Christ rising from the dead - great time of year. ec

4/07/2006 12:27:00 AM  
Blogger Janie said...

Sounds like you are having a great time. Everything sounds beautiful there. Many blessings, Janie Marie

4/07/2006 12:47:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr Eddie ~~ It sounds as though you
and your wife are busy with family visitors. Bet you are enjoying it.
Spring sounds great too. Golf never
did much for me, but it is an attraction for many. Good for the
area. Cheers, Merle.

4/07/2006 05:00:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

With the flowers and everything, it always looks so wonderful on TV.

4/07/2006 05:08:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

CGS - Great having the family in and the flowers are beautiful.

merle - Not much into golf myself but at this time of year we have visitors from all over the world. Some folks work hard this week and make enough to coast the rest of the year.

AC - It is one of the most beautiful places around and all the flowers are timed to bloom as close as possible to tournament time. They have even iced some of them down to help them bloom on time.

betty white - The weather has been great thus far but tomorrow all this is supposed to change with thunder boomers coming through. ec

4/07/2006 11:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home