My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

wildlife

It was early morning, at least for me, and I did something that I am prone to do, except in this case I was standing, I looked out the kitchen window to see if any wildlife was present in the garden area. The only movement that caught my eye was a small brown form that was bobbing back and forth, yet staying in one spot on the ground. It didn’t really look like a color that would indicate a bird I was familiar with, and even though it was the color of a field rodent, it didn’t move like one of those.

After several minutes of speculation, the realization dawned on me that I was standing with the baited breath of wondrous expectation while staring intently at a curled-up dead leaf blowing in the wind. I was disappointed but also very amused by my actions – it is not unusual for me to laugh at myself on a regular basis. Even after the cleaning out the garden debris, the birds are still in evidence if I rise at the proper time. Of course, my rising is usually at the proper time because this happens shortly after my waking time and I would not want to rise before I awoke.

A few mornings later I was again at the window, admiring the form and actions of a small flock of 7 or 8 doves and several other smaller birds around the periphery of the garden. Doves are fairly regular visitors to my garden area, evidently for the grit and tiny stones from the bare ground – these are necessary for the bird’s gizzard to use in the grinding up of the seeds and harder material they consume. As I watched, several large shadows passed by – caused by a skein of geese flying into the neighbor’s pond. This body of water adjoins and feeds water into the one behind our house. There is plenty of avian wildlife in the area just for the observing.

Speaking of wildlife (smile), due to the process of selling their present house and buying another, YD and her whole family are staying with us for a couple of weeks. The legal closing of the sale for the house they are selling and the one they are buying are to be on the same day. It is quite the adventure for us old folks to have the little ones present and accounted for at all hours. YD and SSIL are in one of the basement bedrooms with GM3 and 4 in the other. GM6 and GM1 are in the two spare upstairs bedrooms.

When I stumbled on a word the other day, it dawned on me that this word describes the play efforts and interactions of the three young sons of YD. The word is scrabble; keep in mind that this is not the word game, but the word. It is a verb and one of its meanings is to scratch or dig frantically with the hands – this reminded me of these little guys searching for a toy in their large toy chest. The other meaning that is descriptive of them is: a disorderly struggle for possession of something – this is the three of them when they all want to play with the same toy.

It is an amazing thing to me to watch their personalities forming and starting to emerge. Maybe it is just because I am their grandpa, but these are some fine youngsters (smile). Of course they are “all boy” and can cause a smile one moment and exasperation the next, but growing fine upstanding, God-fearing men takes time. You can count on me keeping you posted. ec

11 Comments:

Blogger Bonita said...

I had to laugh at the leaf blowing in the grass! Yes, our eyes can play tricks on us. I'm still suffering from bouts of double vision when I hike....it is a challenge to see if one bird or two is sitting on the far branch. I'd surely not be a good sharp-shooter in this condition.

12/12/2006 09:10:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

bonita - I had a good laugh at myself for the several minutes that I thought it was some kind of bird. ec

12/12/2006 11:04:00 PM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

:) I have done the very same thing as you- mistaking leaves for birds! ;) But at least we still have the interest to keep looking at the wonders around us!


I know you're have a fun time with those grand kids around! :) I well remember how little boys can be!

Junie

12/13/2006 05:03:00 PM  
Blogger Tim Rice said...

From this post and others, I keep thinking that you must live a beautiful country setting. It sounds wonderful! And I'm sure your grandkids are precious and lots of fun. I know I really appreciate and enjoy my nephews and nieces. :)

I'm sorry I don't get to come by so frequently as I use to. But there are two reasons. The smaller one is that it is the Christmas season and too many things to do. The bigger one and so wonderful is that I have a girlfriend now. :)

12/13/2006 06:12:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

junierose - True - the leaf faked me out but I'm still looking for the real thing. Boys can be verrry . . interesting! ec

tim rice - Not a country setting but enough trees to make it interesting. I understand the busy season AND the preoccupation with the lady in your life - stop by when you can. ec

12/13/2006 07:41:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Even a leaf is amazing sometimes, right?

I'll stay tuned for all the advice I can gather on the raising of young lads. My son is grown yet still has childish tendencies. And here we are, trying again, with the grandson, aka, the terrorist.

12/13/2006 10:01:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ I too had to smile at your "leaf". Our eyes sure can play tricks on us as we get older. You are no doubt enjoying having YD and SSIL and the grands. It is great to watch them grow and enjoy being part of their lives. Sorry about the flat tire and the difficulty changing it. Hope your leg/back problem is easing still.
You lost me with the crows and the hawk, I wouldn't know who to barrack for, as I don't like either.
Take care, Regards, Merle.

12/14/2006 01:19:00 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

I'm always seeing things that aren't really there as well as calling the kids by the wrong names.

I start with the eldest and work my way down.

12/14/2006 10:16:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

brenda - True, leaves are amazing, even the dead ones that turn into compost for next year's growth. I'm really amazed by these three little boys that have been here with us for the last week. I think I would blow a gasket if I had that much energy.

merle - Having YD and her crowd has been great but I don't think I have as much energy as I used to. I was able to move the appointment with the neurosurgeon up to the 19th - hopefully will know something then. I think I was pulling more for the hawk since I dislike crows more.

granny - When we were still at home I always wondered why my Mom called us the wrong name at times, but now I am calling these grandsons by the other's name. I would say it is because I'm getting old, but I remember calling my own girls by the wrong name and I was much younger then, and there were only two of them. :) ec

12/14/2006 11:37:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It seems to me that all youngsters learn by playing. I have enjoyed the opportunity of watching my sons play—and the next of young rabbits in my back yard explore and play.

12/15/2006 11:52:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - It is a very interesting thing to see and hear the things that come out during their play. Sometimes you can identify where it came from and sometimes you have no idea. ec

12/16/2006 11:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home