My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Thursday, January 11, 2007

compliance

It was December 29th, 2006, on the cusp of a new year and it was the worst of times for me physically, but today promised to be the beginning of the end of a bad condition. It was Friday morning and as most mornings do, this one started out dark. The instructions previously given had said to shower with the special soap (they had supplied) on Thursday night and then again before reporting to the hospital – compliance. Further instructions called for me to eat or drink nothing after midnight Thursday night, this was tough but – compliance.

On Thursday, the doctor’s office had called and told me to be at the hospital at 7:30am, and though this was the third variance of time given to me and it was confusing – compliance. After checking in at this time on Friday morning, I was soon shown to a small room and told to take off everything wherewithal I was clothed – including dignity and modesty, these last two were implied – and put on the famous backless gown and get on the bed with wheels – compliance.

By this time the spice was there to watch over any dignity or modesty I had left, but she was too late, it was all gone due to – compliance. A very jovial male nurse came by to insert an IV line – I think he was happy because it was me and not him on the table – he asked for my hand – compliance. This didn’t look good, since he was going to shoot a pain killer before he put the line in – small bee sting said he, and it was but there must not have been enough stinger killer juice because when the larger sting came after that, I felt it all, even the barbs on the stinger. I didn’t yell because – 1-didn’t want to scare the Spice and –2-I was in – compliance.

Just a short while later, the same very jovial nurse then moved my wheeled vehicle up a floor or two into a cubicle in the OR holding area. This gentleman was good at what he did, at least in the driving department and even though the clearance of the passageways was at times very small, we neither clipped a doorway nor banged a wall. I just lay there and marveled as we traveled, without gritting my teeth or getting white knuckles or anything – why? – I was in – compliance.

If you have never seen the 1986 Disney movie “Flight of the Navigator”, you wouldn’t quite understand why I’m flinging around the word – compliance. Plus the word seemed to fit very well in this situation. Nonetheless, they soon came for me and I broke company with my loved ones and wandered off into the misty regions of drug-induced oblivion, in unconscious compliance.

When I once again became aware of semi-consciousness, I was in the semi-hovering presence of a nurse and since I had no choice but compliance as to my location, I conversed with the healthcare professional. I spoke to her in glowing terms and of many things about my grandkids. Since she also had no choice of her location, she joined in and spoke of her own offspring. Also during this time I was carefully feeling of my left leg and hip – all the cramping, burning and tingling was gone – I had a large thanksgiving session right there on the gurney. A short while later I was on my way to my room away from home – hopefully just for the night. TBC – ec

10 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Good to hear from you, old boy. In addition to being compliant, you sound like you're in a pretty good frame of mind.

1/11/2007 10:32:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I'm so happy for you that this surgery has been successful. Praise God!

1/11/2007 10:58:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Glad you thanked God because back surgeries are new miracles!!!
I've had three and thank God for every one.
Now, be good, and get better and better.


Betty G

1/11/2007 11:55:00 PM  
Blogger The very nice man said...

Brilliant, mate!!
Get better quickly and take good care of yourself! God is good!!

1/12/2007 04:55:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~ Good post, sharing the details with us. It is good to do as hospital staff ask, so being compliant, has probably helped the outcome of your surgery. I do hope that you will soon feel much better
and back to your old self again, only
without the pain. Take care, and make haste slowly,my friend. Regards,Merle.

1/12/2007 08:02:00 AM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

So happy to see you back! :)

June

1/12/2007 08:53:00 PM  
Blogger Using up the words.... said...

Yipeeee... and yes praises lifted!!!

Hope you are feeling all better very soon... meanwhile, be very nice to Spice. :)

1/13/2007 04:16:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ Thanks for your visit and glad to hear you are surviving the cold, as I am surviving the heat. I
hope you are feeling better each day.
Take care, Cheers, Merle.

1/13/2007 04:40:00 AM  
Blogger Kila said...

It is good to hear from you! Your writing skills are still intact :) How are things going today? Each day getting better?

1/13/2007 08:47:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

AC - Thanks, and yes the frame of mind is OK, if I could just get certain parts of the body to line up things would be much better. :)

Brenda - Amen - God is good!

Betty - Thanks, the getting better parts are my plans.

TVNM - Thanks, striving to do just that - it's just taking more time than I wanted it to. :)

Merle - I really liked the part about making haste slowly :) - difficult, but I'm trying.

Junierose - Thanks, it's good to be back - though it will have to be slow at first.

UUTW - Yes, many praises! You can count on me being nice to the Spice, after all she is my best friend.

Kila - Thanks - my days are mostly of the yo-yo type, good parts and bad parts. More tests coming up this week to see what else is going on. ec

1/14/2007 04:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home