My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

dental day

The day dawned into what was not to be a pain-free one for the Spice. This was the day that she was to go to the Medical College of Georgia Dental School and get a metal post implanted into her jawbone to thereby enable further work. I’m sure there are more technical terms for that which would sound less painful, but then maybe not. They were going to “put her under” with anesthesia so someone had to come with her, stay the whole time and take her home – that would be me.

The MCG Dental School just happens to be in Augusta – for those who didn’t know – about 9 miles away from where we live. We made the drive over, checked in and soon I was in the somewhat unhappy position of waiting spouselessly in the room full of chairs. Of course my chair was a much more to be desired seat than that of the Spice – and my waiting was of slight consequence compared to her plight. A couple of other people were in this same position of waiting but they were more interested in dozing than in conversing.

As usual, when I know there will be some waiting involved, I took several things to keep myself occupied. We have been attending a Bible training class on Sunday evenings at church and I brought my class book to start on my homework. This usually takes me all week to get to and I breezed through it in about an hour – wow, and I didn’t have anyone awake to high five! My next time occupier was one of the several crossword puzzles from the newspaper – I save these until I get time to complete them. This serves to keep the mind sharp and sometimes gives me words to write about.

The first puzzle was about two thirds of the way to completion when the young man (anyone under fifty) nearby roused up and we started chatting. It is amazing how much you can find out about someone in just a few minutes. He was 46, divorced, had two grown children and worked as manager of restocking the Bi-Lo store about a mile away from our house and this is where the bulk of our grocery shopping is done. It happens that he doesn’t come to work until 8pm and that is the reason that I have never seen him before – nonetheless it is a small world.

Had we talked longer, we might have found out that we were kin or at least went to different schools together. But then the friend that he was there to drive home got ready to go and we parted company, but not before I invited him to church. Then a younger lady came in and we chatted a bit. She had one son that was about 13 months old and she was married to one of the dentists in this very building – he was doing a one-year residency before going out on his own. They were going to practice in Canton, Georgia – near Atlanta, where her whole family lived.

They called her back for cleaning and x-rays and I was looking around for my next chatting victim when they came and informed me that the Spice was ready to depart the premises. After receiving instructions and a couple of prescription forms, I headed out to drive the van around to pick her up at the point at which they were to wheel her out. Her pain meds were starting to wear off so we stopped by the pharmacy on the way home to pick up her new pain meds and an antibiotic.

After bringing her home and getting her sacked out, I hung close around to help out for the rest of the day. After a couple of naps and some meds she gradually started to come back to the land of everyday life. She survived the ordeal; life is good and will be better. Having a loving wife is a good thing. Having a loving Savior, Jesus Christ, is even better. ec

10 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

I sure hope Spice feels all better real soon. I'd rather fight a rattler than have dental work done. Guess I'm lucky there aren't many rattlers around huh?

4/17/2007 11:15:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Brenda - The pain has started to subside a bit but the jaw is still swelled - hopefully a few days, rest and meds will bring this under control. ec

4/17/2007 11:45:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

Dental work is never a stroll in the park. Hope the pain and swelling subside quickly.

4/18/2007 04:05:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ Glad to read of your trip to visit your daughter and her family. I hope the Spice soon feels better after the dental procedure.
Didn't sound like fun. Also I hope
that the blueberries recover from the severe frosts. It is nice to be home again as you would agree. No place like home, but always great to visit family. Take care, Cheers, Merle.

4/18/2007 04:10:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Granny - The Spice seemed to sleep well last night, that is always a step in the right direction, just takes time.

Merle - It was a good visit but you are right, there is no place like home. It looks like the berry crop for this year is totally wiped out. ec

4/18/2007 08:36:00 AM  
Blogger Kila said...

Sounds like some interesting conversations.

I pray Spice has a good and quick recovery!

4/18/2007 10:35:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Adding Spice to my prayers today, and tomorrow, but hoping all is forgotten tomorrow by her.
And isn't it amazing how people come into life and give you better thoughts than crossword puzzles!!!
I am an avid word puzzle person but love conversation even more.
May all your days be so blessed.

Betty G

4/18/2007 01:03:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Cuppa had this done several years ago. She had some infections afterwards. Hope Spice avoids this.

4/18/2007 02:31:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My heart goes out to Spice. I hate being in a dental chair!

4/18/2007 10:50:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Kila - Many folks will open up in a waiting room if it is not too populated - I enjoyed the conversations. The Spice is doing fairly well at the moment, though still sore.

itsboopchile - Thanks for your prayers, they are much appreciated. I too like to talk when the opportunity is offered.

AC - This is our hope as well because an infection would complicate matters very much due to the Spice's past heart surgery.

SSN - Thanks for your concern and I share your dislike for the chair. ec

4/18/2007 11:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home