My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

home again

Continuing the journey home on Easter Sunday. The flight seemed so much smoother back to Atlanta since the weather was much better, in fact it felt like we were not moving at all if you didn’t look out the window. The flight out didn’t seem to have any young ones on board, or at least they didn’t make any noise. This was not true for this flight and a few times the vocal renditions were at rather high volume and at the upper end of high-pitched soprano scale. This having somewhat the same effect on me as someone scraping their fingernails across a chalkboard.

GM1 and I were on one side of the aisle and the Spice was on the other and the ones shattering the peace and quiet were seated directly behind her. This family was traveling with their four youngsters and the noise was coming from the 16 month old twins. Don’t remember hearing anything from the 3-year-old, but the 6-year-old did protest once, something to the effect of “Hey, you guys gave me a broken candy bar”. It even seemed to me that only one twin was noisy – loud enough for about four.

The attendants came by with drinks and snacks and the flight was almost uneventful except for being occasionally punctuated by a sharp squeal of some sort of protest from the twin. We came into Atlanta a few minutes ahead of schedule, but this didn’t really help us since we had a two and a half hour layover before our flight into Augusta. We took this opportunity to get a bite to eat, find our gate and then just wait.

While waiting, we shortly found out that our gate of boarding had been changed, so we went to the new gate and waited some more. Waiting for anything is not a favorite with me but I tried to occupy myself by recording our trip on my little recorder and people watching. I chose to just sit while the Spice and GM1 chose to check out some of the shops in the concourse area. I was amused by a Mom spoon feeding her young one across the way and every time she put the spoon to the baby’s mouth, the Mom would open her mouth as well, showing the little one how to do it I guess.

I found myself dreading the flight back to Augusta because I figured it would be the same type prop job as before. But my eyes and hopes brightened considerably when I saw a large jet pull up to our new gate of departure. With so many folks flying out of Augusta on Monday – because of the Master’s golf tournament – they were flying some large aircraft in for this purpose and we got the indirect benefit of it. When we finally boarded, there were only about 75 of us in a craft that would hold 3 or 4 times that many.

This plane was so much quieter than the puddle jumper that we came up on and by the time we got to altitude, it was time to make the descent into Augusta – didn’t even have time to get snacks – bummer! In fact, the whole trip from wheels up to wheels down only took about 30 minutes. This was a good happening and when we got to Augusta another good thing happened – all of our luggage arrived with us – wow, what a concept.

We had called YD to come for us as soon as the plane touched down and we had just got our bags pulled out to the pick-up area when she arrived. We loaded up and headed across the river to South Carolina. It was a very good visit with our dear ones in Texas, but as always it is good to be home – thank the Lord for safety on the trip! ec

3 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

...every time she put the spoon to the baby’s mouth, the Mom would open her mouth as well, showing the little one how to do it I guess.

I can't help doing this too.

4/10/2007 05:24:00 PM  
Blogger Kila said...

I can't imagine having to travel by plane with 4 little ones, yikes.

I think it's just instinct to open our mouths when feeding our babies--I remember trying NOT to do it, and it was hard, LOL.

Glad you had a safe trip!

4/10/2007 05:30:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

AC - I think we all have a tendency in that direction, but it did seem comical at the time.

Kila - I think the parents of the little family slept well that night. I have to really concentrate to not open my mouth as well. ec

4/10/2007 10:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home