My Photo
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Monday, April 09, 2007

Texas trip - 10

Saturday, April 7th, began with a change of weather, it was dark, cloudy and shortly the skies gave forth rain. The weather promised more of the wet stuff but in the middle of the day and early afternoon it didn’t happen. This was to be our last full day in Texas and it became just a relaxed, kicked back day with all outings cancelled because of the precipitation.

We did not come prepared for the drastic change of temperature that has taken place but we have enough to layer and get by for the return trip home. The ladies went out in the afternoon for a short stint of shopping and to pick up some items for the evening meal, leaving the gruntmonkeys with the old guy. It was sort of odd in that it didn’t rain while they were gone but the moment of their return ushered in another shower. I wondered if that was like the phenomenon of rain never falling on the golf course.

They finished the prep for the evening meal and we partook of the nourishment. After cleaning up the kitchen and getting GM5 down for the night, the girls wanted to watch another DVD, “Flicka”. And of course they wanted all to watch it with them. I did make an effort but after much checking my eyelids for holes, I came to a point of consciousness that made it possible to arise, shower and get ready for bed and crashed for the night – I am such a live wire.

Easter Sunday morning came and I finally reached a condition of wakefulness that enabled me to creep into a new day. Going downstairs to start the day with full knowledge that the packing would have to be completed in a short while for the return trip home. I did an intake of sustenance and scripture for strength to make it through the day and then started gathering the odds and ends of our belongings into the cases to get them back home.

In due course, all the bags were packed, brought down and placed in the van and we all started for the airport. The day had begun with showers but this started clearing as we got closer to Houston, which is about an hour’s drive from where they reside. There was hardly any traffic but it was about midday on Easter Sunday and most decent folk were in church. We arrived at the parking area, drug our luggage to the check-in area, got it tagged and hoped it would be in Augusta when we got there.

We proceeded on to the security check-in and went through the worst part of the whole trip – the leaving of loved ones. Tearing ourselves away, we went through security with minor inconvenience – even though this time the machinery didn’t like my CPAP machine. It finally passed; we got our shoes back on and went forth to find our gate for boarding. In a short while we were enplaned and airborne, headed for Atlanta, Georgia.

Spiritually we were no closer to God while in the air but somehow it felt like it. ec


Blogger Sometimes Saintly Nick said...

With the extremely slow Internet connection, I can't get around to blogs as I once did. I must return soon and read all the posts on your Texas trip.

Easter blessings, Mr. Eddie, and much shalom to you.

4/09/2007 11:31:00 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

Sounds like all's well that ends well. I'm sure you are reviewing all the memories while on that plane ride home.

Now, back to those blueberries....

4/10/2007 12:55:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I have only ever had one completely horrible flight and it was enough to last me a lifetime I think. For the most part, flying was awesome. I'm glad you arrived home safe and sound!

4/10/2007 01:16:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - We had a good Easter, though much of it was in the air when we were coming home.

Bonita - We had a weird cold snap while we were gone and the fate of the blueberries is in doubt at the moment.

Brenda - For sure the flying is a lot quicker and the most of the trip was OK. The lost luggage was annoying, but we got there fine and were enjoying being with them while waiting on the bags. ec

4/10/2007 01:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home