My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Texas trip - 1

Friday, April 30th was our travel day to Texas. Our flight departure time was 2:06pm and our day began in a fairly normal way – whatever that is, if there is such a thing. It was a bit unusual in that most of our packing had been done the night before – wow, what a concept! We finished up the last minute stuff and awaited our ride to the airport.

Our driver was YD and her associate was GM6 – they arrived about 11:40, we loaded up the luggage and were off. Next stop was North Augusta Middle school to pick up GM1 since she was making the trip with us – her spring break is next week. Retrieved her, went by her favorite place – Chic-Fil-A – to get her a bite to eat and we were then headed to the airport.

We arrived there shortly before 1pm and found massive construction going on – something that I should have been aware of, but wasn’t. With luggage in tow, we had a very long trek back to the check-in point. We checked the luggage in and when he inspected the first case, he found a verboten item – a large aerosol can of Lysol disinfecting spray (the container was too big) and fortunately YD had gone in with us and she took it back with her.

I stayed with the luggage inspection to be sure something else didn’t flunk while the girls went to the necessary room. Next we headed to the boarding area to be inspected ourselves. Since anyone that wasn’t flying couldn't go past this point, we said our goodbyes to YD and GM6 and went to the ominous inspection area. This was very interesting and different for me since I had not flown since 9-11, even though I had heard the tales about the adventure.

Since I didn’t want to take a chance about my CPAP machine, it and its carrying case constituted my carry-on luggage. GM1 and I breezed right on through inspection but the Spice was not so fortunate inasmuch as she had an implanted defibrillator and cannot go through the normal metal detection gate. She had to be personally patted down, an action that GM1 found very humorous. On top of that, the machinery found something in her pocketbook that it didn’t like and that had to be hand inspected – turned out to be a small flashlight and they let her pass.

Waiting in the boarding area, our flight departure time slowly came and went – about 45 minutes late, we finally boarded. We went our way still convinced that God is good, all the time. ec

4 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

r travel is such a hassle. BTW, I think you mean March 30, not April.

3/31/2007 06:15:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

I heard from a little bird that you have a birthday around this time.

Is it today? Happy Birthday.

4/01/2007 09:03:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

AC - You are right it is a hassle and that the date was March - I missed a whole month - thanks. Must have been jet lag inducing me to write weird - wait . . that's me all the time. :)

Granny - When I was born my older sister asked my Mom, "Is he going to be a little fool"? Was she a prophet? Today, Sunday, April 1st, is my birthday - a young 66, on some days, other days I'm much older. ec

4/01/2007 11:55:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

AC - For some reason I can't comment on your blog - happened the last time I was out of town. ec

4/01/2007 11:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home