My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

mentioning

Did I mention that the pond bordering the rear of our property has been at full stage for about two weeks? In the past it would occasionally fill up, and a few times even overflow for about a day but then start receding. I’m amazed and even a bit shocked because this is something that hasn’t happened before – of course every moment I live is like that, these times haven’t happened before. Times and events only happen once and never again – things happen that are similar, but never the same things over again because once they’re done, they’re done.

Did I mention that I don’t like crows? Probably have but I just don’t like crows, they are sneaky, very sneaky. They are ugly, I don’t like their coloration and their cawing is annoying. They also eat other bird’s eggs and will even steal and eat baby birds – just like the whole reason for these young ones being there was for their lunch. Well, they also steal fruit from the place here, but that is minor compared to the other. Just thought I’d mention that I don’t like crows.

Did I mention that I like ‘snow peas’? These are the young green peas still in the pod that are sautéed as part of the veggies in American Chinese cuisine – snow peas are a good thing. This pea is kin to the green peas that we always called English peas. In England, in the 1600s and 1700s, it became popular to eat these peas freshly picked in spring and ‘green’, as opposed to the normally dried and cooked later ways – split pea soup and/or the traditional English dish, ‘pease porridge’ or even ‘mushy peas’. Many different varieties of these peas were developed in England and were imported and became popular in the States. Long story short – I like snow peas.

Did I mention that I was on my way to meet with some of my cronies for supper? This takes place on a monthly basis at some restaurant or home around the area. We eat, laugh, commiserate and retell tales of the past, mostly for the enjoyment of all involved. All but one of us is retired and all worked for the same company and in the same area. Somehow, the way we tell the things of the past, even the things that were bad back then offer up some humor for the present.

Did I mention that the North Augusta police department patrols their area of responsibility with the utmost of care and precision? Not that I have been caught in their ‘web of influence’, but I did notice in route tonight that they had two vehicles pulled to the side of the road and it did not look like they were just saying ‘howdy’ because some writing was going on.

Did I mention that I took the route around Augusta known as I-520? It crosses the Savannah River and goes through some very swampy land on the Georgia side. Also included along this highway are some ponds that originally came as a result of the digging out of clay to make bricks. Many ducks populate these areas and as of yet, I haven’t been able to identify their variety. They were dotting the pond today like freshly shaken pepper on the surface of a pot of soup. On another, colder day, they were clumped together so tightly that they were almost like a large living carpet of ducks.

Did I mention that I ate Bratwurst and sauerkraut with a German salad? The restaurant was one that offered mostly German type food. The food was good, as was the camaraderie, and the time passed all too quickly. Old friends are good but God is better, and all the time. ec

9 Comments:

Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ Glad to hear that the blueberies are flowering and looking like a promising crop later on. Might I suggest it would be better to pay someone to dig up your vegie patch to save you that hard work.And save the expense of a new Tiller.Did I mention that I also have an abiding hatred of crows. They peck the eyes out of lambing ewes and take off chickens, etc. One day years ago, while driving I saw a dead one on the road and it's mate by it's side and
I thought maybe there was some good in them. HE WAS EATING HIS MATE!!!
Good post, Take care, Merle.

3/15/2007 12:40:00 AM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

I enjoyed reading this, ec.

You write about life in a very interesting way!


Junie

3/15/2007 10:34:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Merle - Spring is bursting out all over in this section of South Carolina - it's a beautiful thing! Went to check on a tiller for my garden and will probably either buy one this week or the first of next - it is already time to break up the soil - that is exciting as well.

Junierose - Thanks - this is a great time of year for me and I am enjoying it a lot. Still have a lot of work I want to get done before planting the garden, but if I don't, I'll get it later. ec

3/15/2007 11:00:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Sounds like Spring is bouncing over your way and you put it in such a delightful way.

3/16/2007 07:25:00 AM  
Blogger Bonita said...

In Tibet crows fortell good omens if they sit on a dwelling, but here in Tacoma they are ill-mannered. When my neighbor throws hard rolls out into the street, I go out with my hammer to smash them (not the crows), so that everyone will get a piece. No concept of sharing there. And, you never see dead crows anywhere....

3/16/2007 11:59:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I can go with the Bratwurst and sauerkraut, but not the snow peas. Which reminds me: I'm hungry.

3/17/2007 01:19:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Brenda - Thanks, spring has definitely sprung even though we might still get an "Easter snap", as it is called. If it does, it might catch my fruiting pear - like it did last year, not a single pear.

Bonita - I'm sure the crows are doing what they were designed to do, but they are sure not #1 on my hit parade of birds.

SSN - When in the army, I only got up to Germany a few times and then did not get to really sample the food a lot but what I have eaten since then of that style has been good. It doesn't take a lot of talking about food to fling a craving on me as well. ec

3/17/2007 11:30:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

All this talk about food makes me hungry. I can smell my corned beef cooking in the crockpot for tomorrow.

Yes I know we're a day late but Saturday just didn't work out as well. I have a rule about holidays. They can be whenever is convenient for the cook.

3/18/2007 03:17:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Granny - On a holiday or any other day, the cook rules! Hope the corned beef was outstanding. ec

3/18/2007 10:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home