My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Thursday, March 01, 2007

shakes

In the midst of the remnant of a recent evening, since the Spice was over helping out YD with the Gruntmonkeys, I decided to do my daily walk alone. It was dark but a couple of security lights give luminance to most of the whole driveway where we walk. I always carry two things on a walk, be it night or day, one is my stopwatch and the other is a stick about 5 feet long. The stick is not because I think someone might be lurking about, even though there is a fair amount of forest around MIL’s place, it would be for stray dogs that have been seen occasionally. I would not want to be weaponless should they happen to come calling.

The weather was a bit cool but I didn’t even have to fasten my jacket to be comfortable. The night was clear with about two zillion stars and a crescent moon that my oldest granddaughter would call ‘God’s thumbnail” – this from a long ago movie that she watched many, many times. My walk was at a fair pace, but not breathlessly so and very peaceful and relaxing. The lights of the autos could be seen between the trees down on the highway and even that was calming to me because they were having to be out and about going to some unknown destination, maybe even for tense purposes and I was blessed to be out for a soothing evening stroll.

Upon returning home a little later in the evening, the Spice brought us each a milkshake from Chik-Fil-A. She most always gets chocolate and mine is always vanilla. It is not that I don’t like any other flavor but usually those would involve artificial colors and flavors. Some homemade shakes have been constructed in the past and these were most satisfying, of course they were made with the natural fruit. Probably the best of the homemade was banana, with peach or strawberry coming in up close to the top of the list.

There is something to be said for chocolate shakes – but not much. The only chocolate shakes I remember drinking were not ordered by me or for me, they were the leftovers from the Spice. And as you know, it is my policy and duty to clean up any leftover food, especially milkshakes of any flavor – even if I grimace the whole way. It is not that I totally dislike chocolate and it is not unknown for me to put some chocolate syrup on a sundae occasionally, but at least this way I can have an intermingling of tastes and not just chocolate saturation – but I guess there are worse things.

We are so blessed that God made such an incredible array of the variances of tastes for us to enjoy and then gave us the taste equipment to savor each one. God is good and I feel blessed by Him. ec

6 Comments:

Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ I see we have letters
for the Word V. today, not yesterday.
I hope your doctor appointment went
well and they are happy with your progress. My appointment is in 2 hours time. Glad you liked the Teacher story and it reminds us to thank people who have helped us. I like caramel milkshakes or vanilla.
Glad your frame worked so well
Take care, Regards, Merle.

3/01/2007 10:19:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Merle - Doc visit went OK, he told me some things that I didn't want to hear, but it could be worse and there is treatment - which I start on tomorrow. The daughter brought the gruntmonkeys over for the night - also a vanilla milkshake, plus I had to finish about half of someone else's - tough job but someone has to do it. ec

3/01/2007 10:35:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

Many of us seemed to have trouble with w.v. yesterday.

Yum on the milkshakes. I'm a chocolate malt fan myself. I love caramel but usually hot rather than cold (except for caramel sauce on vanilla ice cream of course).

Ray cleans up the leftovers too. Waste not, want not.

Sorry the news from the doctor, whatever it is, wasn't better for you. I wish you well.

Thanks for the comment today. I can't imagine still blogging (or blobbing) at that age but who knows.

3/02/2007 12:02:00 AM  
Blogger Yours Truly said...

Mmmm, I don't remember the last time I had a milkshake, but I think it was way too long ago! But the homemade kind are the best...especially if they involve frozen berries! (and Gruntmonkeys...although I dont have those..hehehe)

Have a great weekend!

3/02/2007 01:57:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Milk shakes today don't seem to have the magically delicious taste that they had back when I was growing up. Could it be because they were such a rare treat back then?

Did you ever make homemade icecream at your family gatherings? Yummmm!

3/02/2007 07:31:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Granny - Milkshakes are a powerful thing - if properly used they can defuse many difficult situations and cement relationships - if I'm dreaming, let me dream. :) I know how Ray feels, it is tough being the clean-up guy. :) I too like caramel sauce on vanilla ice cream.

yours truly - Yes the homemade are the best - berries (blue, black or straw kind), or bananas, or even peaches. And the Gruntmonkeys always make anything better. :)

Brenda - I think they made them better, thicker and better tasting back then - but this taste could be a bit memory enhanced. As for the delightful homemade ice cream, check out the post I will be posting in a few minutes. ec

3/02/2007 09:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home