My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

progress

Blueberry Hill is gradually starting to take shape for the spring. Though my outside work sessions have been short, they have continued most every day and the results are beginning to be evident. Also my endurance is ever so slowly starting to increase and the length of the work sessions has increased slightly to a bit over an hour. A couple of days have seen two sessions, Monday of this week being one of these.

The following is a summation of the progress so far accomplished. As previously reported, the seven muscadine vines have been pruned and the 4 excess vines dug up. The five larger hazel nut trees have been pruned back to the best 3 or 4 trunks – with the rest of the sprouts cut off at the ground. There were so many sprouts that I am going to use the straightest and longest of these to stake up some green beans in the garden this year.

The aforementioned plants were on the garage/kitchen (north) side of the house – which is generally situated with the front facing west, the back to the rising sun and the bedrooms on the south side. Minor work had to be done on the south side plants, replacing two of the small blueberry plants there – 19 are in that patch – one of these had died and the other didn’t look to be feeling well at all. The four recently planted fig trees on that end were pruned up a bit – it will be hard to tell what else to cut until they leaf out. The 3 small hazel nut trees on this end were also pruned back to three shoots.

In the front of the house, the Juneberry trees were doing well, one didn’t need anything done and the other was pruned slightly. This last one was cut off at the ground line a couple of years ago because of some kind of disease and the existing one grew from the base and seems healthy. It is now almost as tall as the other, although much smaller in diameter. The two Cornelian cherry trees – relatives of the Dogwood – were left alone since I don’t know enough about their growth patterns.

The four paw-paw trees on the south side of the driveway are small as yet – about 4 feet – but still needed some minor pruning to set them in good stead for later in their lives. The 10 blueberry plants on the north of the drive are still small but several are starting to send out sprouts, probably need to thin these on another day, they need to have mulch added as well. My one and only pear tree has now been pruned. It doesn’t seem to grow very tall yet it produces like crazy. As far as I know it is not of dwarf rootstock – one made to not grow tall – and seems to be very healthy.

All of these aforementioned plants and trees were self-planted by the caretaker of Blueberry Hill and I am amazed and blessed to watch them grow and produce. Any work involved in caring for these creations of God is not considered a real chore to me. In fact it is a joy to see them grow and presses me toward worship of the One that created everything. ec

7 Comments:

Blogger jay are said...

sounds like things are taking shape. It was so much colder here the last couple of months that many of my plants died. I haven't discovered any motivation yet to get out to my yard and start getting things sorted out. I've decided to wait until March or April to see what truly died and what has just been faking...ugh. My yard used to be pretty and I guess someday it might be again :) Maybe some days of warm sun will motivate me to perk up too.

2/13/2007 12:46:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

I'm repeating myself by saying that I'm glad to see you getting back to your (excuse the expression) old self.

Had to google Juneberry. Very pretty.

Thanks for the comment today. You don't need labels unless you want to earmark your biographical posts or something like that. They'd probably be more bother than they're worth.

I may change my one huge category from miscellaneous to "blah, blah" as a friend of mine has done.

2/13/2007 04:34:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Taking shape for Spring? It is raining ice here. I really have to move farther south!

2/13/2007 07:12:00 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

Nice routine you've got there, Mr. Eddie. Are the Juneberries like Sarvisberries or Serviceberries?

2/13/2007 08:39:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

jay are - When it is so cold there is not a lot of incentive to work in the yard. We still have some cold days coming (well, cold to us) but it has really been mild the last week or so. Most of what I've been doing must be done before anything buds out.

Granny - It seems that I feel a lot older than I did just a few months back, but I'm slowly getting things done. The Juneberry and several others were planted the year of my retirement just as an experiment - so far, so good.

SSN - The pruning must be done while it is cold, before the plant puts on leaf or bloom. It has been relatively mild for us this winter.

Bonita - They are just something I found that was edible for humans and I was going for an edible landscape. Not sure what they are related to, I've only had a few berries as yet and those were eaten by birds before I got a taste. ec

2/13/2007 10:59:00 PM  
Blogger The very nice man said...

Yes, praise be to God for all living things! I praise God for you!

2/14/2007 06:36:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

TVNM - Yes, all praise and glory goes to Him. ec

2/14/2007 01:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home