My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Thursday, February 08, 2007

froggy

To feel one's oats is defined as: to feel or show giddy animation or to have a strong sense of one's own power. My younger daughter uses a slang expression meaning about the same – feeling froggy. An example sentence would be – ‘You must have really been feeling froggy to do all that’. I’m not sure if I was feeling froggy or feeling my oats, but I had a very big day of activities the other day.

The Spice and I decided to walk MIL’s driveway (two tenths of a mile in length) and we completed 1.4 miles in a little over 33 minutes. The pace was comfortable and was a good rehab activity. In fact it might have been good if I had stopped with that and not done anything else but I felt that I needed to do a little something outside as well. With my tools in the trusty garden cart, I wandered down the hill and proceeded to dig up the extra muscadines – the ones I had set out for someone but they were not needed. The vines were very determined but finally all of them were uprooted and placed on the discard heap. These outside ventures are usually kept to an hour or less per event.

Just up the hill from these are the larger of the hazel nut trees and they desperately needed pruning as well. They are very bad to put out a bunch of sprouts from the base of the tree. My goal it to cut all of these branches back to 4 or 5 trunks per plant – there are five trees in a row at this location. It was getting a bit dark by this time and I was only able to finish one of them before going back inside.

I hauled my carcass to the recliner and crashed for a while to rest. It would have been a big day in my rehab program if I had stopped there and not done anything else. But in just a short while I got the brilliant idea that this was a good time to start back exercising my upper body. The record I keep on when I exercise told me that I had only recorded 6 sessions since September of 2006. I stretched, loosened up and then did just a few exercises and also a few strengthening ones with very light weights and called it a night.

If any of you have ever overdone it with exercise, you know what happened next morning – I could hardly drag out of bed. Even though I don’t know how I could have gone any lighter with the warm-up and the workout – except to leave it out altogether – it was still too much and I paid for it until everything finally loosened up about noon that next day.

After it loosened up I went back out for a short while on the day of reference – in spite of the Spice’s insistence that I might overdo it again. One has to do a little before they can do more – it is the ‘use the muscles or lose them’ theory. It is so hard to tell when I’m overdoing it for two reasons, first, I don’t recall ever laying off for this long and second, I have never been this old before.

Even this short session was very productive inasmuch as I got one of the small hazel nut trees pruned and transplanted two blueberry plants. One of these went where a plant had died and the other was placed where a small one was struggling greatly – if these both live that will be OK too. Just being in the blueberry patch a little while let me know how badly it needs pruning as well.

Then as I sat munching on a PB&J sandwich (with grape jam as the J), pondering the meaning of life, I suddenly realized that I didn’t need to ponder about that anymore because I already knew the meaning – but I won’t keep you any longer for just that. A hint would be that real life is all wrapped up in Jesus, without Him we are not really living. ec

11 Comments:

Blogger Bonita said...

Glad to see you are up and about, doing so much better, Mr. Eddie! It looks like your relationship with the trees and shrubs is as satisfying as the other one you nurture, with your Savior and Lord. All things require good care and consistant attention.

2/08/2007 11:24:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Take it a little easier, those trees and vines will still be there tomorrow, and the next day, and the next. :-)

2/08/2007 02:17:00 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

God is so good! Glad you're feeling up to doing some of your work! Meanwhile it's been below zero most nights here for the last week.

2/08/2007 09:13:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You are very ambitious, old fella.

2/08/2007 09:36:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ Do take care my friend and take it a little easier. We think we are better and stronger than we are at times. Like me buying plants and thinking, I can just plant them easily. It will not be easy !! The trip to Bunnings was for pleasure. My previus shopping trip was for food and groceries and I got a prescription filled. All necessary, but not fun. It is nice to get out of the house though
My last cooking day was just steaks, home roasted chips and onions,beans
broccolini; tomato, onion and bell peppers cooked together and mashed
pumpkin. All very nice.
I am glad you are gradually getting
your jobs done. Does the saying
"Rome wasn't built in a day" have
any meaning for you. Take care,
Regards, Merle.

2/08/2007 10:42:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Bonita - It is very satisfying to plant and care for these creations of God. This is in a sense communing with my Savior and Lord as I am constantly amazed by these things He has made.

Brenda - Thanks for your concern but these outside things I do are things that I don't even consider work but an enjoyment - even though they may be a little tiring. :)

Jayleigh - Wow, that is cold! It has been moderate here during the day and seldom below freezing at night. It may not have been cold enough to kill some of the bad bugs.

AC - Us old folks need a hobby too - it keeps me out of trouble, don't have the energy left. :)

Merle - All our lives are different and I enjoy reading of your everyday events, especially about your garden. I do so much get enjoyment out of working on my plants around Blueberry Hill and it's very rewarding to me. ec

2/08/2007 11:20:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi again Me Eddie ~~ Thanks for your visit and comments. Sorry for all my woes, but the trip tp Bunnings did help. Hope I can get them all fixed soon. I love your term for Garden
Nurseries - -Plant acquiring places.
I bought mulch, potting mix and water conserving granules. I planted some vegie seedlings, Broad beans, silver beet and Yellow dwarf beans. Spread mulch around etc. Wish me luck. Soon be a change of season for us both. Take care, Regards, Merle.

2/10/2007 02:16:00 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

I've done the same thing. I'm a little slow to get started but once I start, it's even harder to stop.

And yes, I pay for it.

2/10/2007 03:21:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Merle - A garden is a place of work but also of much satisfaction - seeing the plants grow and produce. Hope your plot is growing and producing well for you.

Granny - I know the feeling - lately I work a while and then come in and rest, sometimes for the rest of the day. :) ec

2/11/2007 06:48:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It appears that I am not the only one who over does it. Of course, I am sure neither of us relish the idea of the alternative. Blessings and shalom, my dear friend,.

2/11/2007 05:41:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - It seems very easy to overdo it of late - but I do seem to be gaining a bit of strength also, much too slowly though. ec

2/12/2007 01:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home