My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

walking

In some ago missive and maybe in several, I have mentioned that I was a jogger for about 20 years. This was an outlet for me, I enjoyed it and it kept me in pretty decent shape. The constant pounding finally got too much for my lower back and I quit jogging to start speed walking. This also has kept me in fair shape and allowed me to eat most anything I wanted without gaining weight. The back problem that caused me to start walking might possibly be the same one that I had to have repaired back on December 29th – not much way of knowing that now though.

As you may or may not know, the difference between running (or jogging) and walking is that in running one moves their feet in such a manner that for an instant in each step both feet are off the ground. In walking, there is always one foot on the ground. The walking I have been doing for my rehab would have to barely be considered walking, especially at first when both feet were mostly touching – one touching and one dragging. This has improved and the day of this writing I did more than a mile outside in about 28 minutes – not fast according to my old times but the best since the operation.

My “track” outside is the driveway that goes from the street, across the dam of the pond and ends and MIL’s house – 2 tenths of a mile and it is easy to get any distance one wants out of that. Geese still fly in and spend the day on this pond or the one above it on most days. We have counted as high as 30 at one time. A couple of days ago we were walking and counted 20 swimming on the pond but as we got closer to them, one was a duck. I’m not totally sure but this may be the same duck that I wrote about wondering what had happened to him. The geese always fly back to another pond to the south of here at night and evidently it flies with them, so I guess the duck now thinks it is a goose.

Doctor appointments have always been something the Spice had – until recently that is. I think I have had more appointments in the last three months than probably in the last ten years. Just this morning I went for some blood tests – still trying to solve the mystery about my achy muscles and not being able to sleep. Then this afternoon it was on to the dentist – praise the Lord for no cavities – he did go ahead and fix one little chipped tooth.

The biggie for today is a sleep study to see if I have sleep apnea. This is pretty much an all night affair, going in at about 7pm and finishing up about 6am in the morning. Not looking forward to it but hopefully it will help solve some of the problems. Nonetheless, God is still good – all the time. ec

7 Comments:

Blogger Kila said...

I hope your test tonight goes well. Sweet dreams.

1/16/2007 06:34:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

A good sleep and a good walk: sounds pretty healthy to me. I hope oyu get the sleep issue cleared up.

1/17/2007 10:57:00 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

Hope you continue to feel better.

Somehow we seem to have a rooster on our block (in the middle of the city). Who needs an alarm clock!!

1/17/2007 11:03:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Try to get some rest tonight. Do they give you something to make you sleep?

1/18/2007 02:45:00 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

I will be praying all those issues will get worked out! It is great you are still up and walking. Things would probably be worse if you weren't up and moving around. God is good! :)

1/19/2007 12:49:00 AM  
Blogger Bonita said...

Keep us updated on the sleep apnea. My son had that, and had his tonsils removed. Cleared it up.

1/19/2007 11:25:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Kila - Thanks much - the test was tough and did show that I have apnea. At least I know now.

AC - A good sleep and a good walk have always cleared up a lot in my life - if I can just get the sleep part cleared up.

Granny - I remember when we were kids - Dad had bought a new batch of chickens and the rooster woke him up too early the next morning. We had that one for Sunday dinner. :)

Brenda - So far none of the sleep aids have worked. Last two nights I have slept in the recliner - seems to work much better.

ADannells - The walking continues, sometimes outside, but always inside. Even though it is an effort, it does seem to help.

Bonita - They did say that I have apnea - but my tonsils are long gone - 1961. Tests still continue on other problems. ec

1/19/2007 11:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home