My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

planting

The plot of ground on which our house is built and on which we pay taxes every year has always been noted on the plat to be just short of an acre – .98 to be exact. Within the last month or so we have been able to obtain a piece of property that adjoined ours on the back. This fact has gone almost unnoticed by me because of the health issues in which I’ve been involved.

This piece of property came out to a little over an acre, so now our vast (?) estate comes out to 2.05 acres. All of this is the continuation of the slope behind our house down to the pond and takes in the entire southwest side of the pond. We now have a waterfront lot – if the pond is not too low (large smile). Plans for different types of plantings on the slope are starting to formulate but are definitely just in the beginning stages and are dependent on several things, not the least of which would be the health issues.

It seems odd and yet it doesn’t, how a piece of land can get into one’s head and emotional roots can grow deep in the soil, no matter how rich or poor the dirt happens to be. This now larger Blueberry Hill has a lot of sand in residence, but it will grow veggies, berries and such and all these things makes me very happy. Just to see things grow, especially things planted by one’s own hands, is an amazing thing and touches places deep within.

It might be a bit genetic in that my Dad was what one would call and experimental planter. Dad retired in Augusta, Georgia and moved back to the old home place in Mississippi in the 1970s. He always planted a big veggie garden and started planting fruit trees. These trees would be obtained from friends in the area or ordered from the seed and plant catalog. Some of these would be things he was familiar with and others would be something he just ‘wanted to try’.

When we would go down to see the folks, one of the expected things and a highlight of the trip for me was when Dad would take me around and tell me about the different trees. He could tell me where they came from, when he planted them and whether or not they produced to suit him that year. Then if he didn’t like how they were doing, he would dig them up and plant something else. Even as he got more feeble, the plant sagas seemed to please him in the telling and certainly pleased me in the hearing. If you were here, I could tell you all about the trees and plants that I have joyously planted on Blueberry Hill.

Deeper and stronger than physical plantings are the Words of life that are daily planted by those genuine believers who know and live for the King of all Kings. Jesus Christ is the giver of life and will accept all who will come to Him and ask. ec

PS – Just to bring you up to date with health issues, the back is still healing as expected, I now have had a CPAP machine for two nights and am still trying to get used to it. I used it two hours the first night and 4 the second and I seem to be sleeping better. Much mystery still remains with the joint and muscle pain but medication is now helping in that area with some test results still to be evaluated.

12 Comments:

Blogger Kila said...

Your property sounds beautiful.

I pray your recovery just keeps getting better, God willing.

~Kila at momto3cubs

1/24/2007 07:21:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm glad your back is healing on schedule. If you don't adjust to the CPAP in a week or two, have a pro check the settings: mine were too low.

1/24/2007 09:59:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Kila - It may not look like much to others but it's beautiful to me. Thanks much for your prayers.

SSN - I'm grateful for a healing back. My problem with the CPAP is that my pressure setting seems to be too high - but I'm still trying. ec

1/24/2007 10:11:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You've got spring fever and I envy you. You will enjoy your gardening much more this year so I am glad for you.

Betty G

1/24/2007 10:12:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Betty - I'm not sure if I have spring fever or cabin fever - I just want to go out and work in the yard. Maybe my doctor will allow me to do more when I see him tomorrow. ec

1/24/2007 10:57:00 PM  
Blogger The very nice man said...

Many thanks for the update! Still praying for you to get totally pain-free!

1/25/2007 05:03:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That machine doesn't look like fun, but if it helps ...

1/25/2007 08:37:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

TVNM - Prayers like that are very much appreciated.

AC - You are right, not much fun and takes a lot of getting used to - this will be my fourth night and I'm still trying. Sleepin some better though. ec

1/25/2007 10:05:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ Glad to hear you are doing so well, but do take great care. Try not to overdo the yard work. Hope you soon get used to te machine.
I agree pleasant days are when we need neither heaters or coolers.
Do look after yourself and make haste slowly. Regards, Merle.

1/26/2007 08:56:00 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

I had to look up the CPAP. Interesting and something that might help my husband. I'll check further.

Keep getting better.

1/27/2007 02:22:00 AM  
Blogger Bonita said...

I'm glad your father shared himself with you as he shared his stories about the land and the trees. Its true, we become that intimately connected with our place called home.

1/29/2007 12:05:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Merle - Last night was the first night I have worn the CPAP all night - it's still an effort. Am having to go very light on the yard work - weaker than I thought.

Granny - The machine does help to get and keep oxygen in the lungs but it does take a bit to get used to it. I'm not bouncing back as quick as I would like, but am coming back - praise the Lord.

Bonita - That is one of the many things that I miss about Dad - the telling about the land and trees. It didn't matter if he repeated himself - he sometimes did - I just enjoyed listening to the stories. ec

1/29/2007 05:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home