My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Monday, January 22, 2007

music

My first waking moment made me aware of a cacophonous, raucous and very discordant ruckus out behind the house. A moment of listening told me that this was the serenade of two groups of large birds, neither of which are known to be very melodious. These critters were geese and crows and though they seemed to be doing their very best, the most tactful way to describe their sound would be a “joyful noise”. Lacking the energy and curiosity on this particular morning, I had to assume this was just normal for them and tried to go back to sleep, in spite of the ‘music’.

Music is a thing that has always been a large part of my life, mostly because my Dad was the choir director at our church for about 25 years. If I had a forte, it would have been in the singing area, even though I did take piano lessons for a couple of years at two different times in my life. My first teacher finally concluded that I was wasting my time and money since I would not practice like I should – too young and with too many distractions. The second one had to quit teaching due to an upcoming blessed event – but I had just about concluded by then that it wasn’t for me.

Joining the choir after my marriage to the Spice, I sang with them several years in the tenor section. While we were not a great choir, we certainly worshipped God and made a “joyful noise” to Him. Later I sang with a Southern Gospel quartet for a short while, even sang on TV once with them, but they just needed a warm body to fill in. Then I enjoyed striving to harmonize in several trios, a duet and even sang some solos. They were really dragging the bottom when I was asked to fill in for a while as the choir director at church – I really enjoyed it but such was not my calling for long term.

While all this left me with an ear and an appreciation for harmony in song, I have still been known to change keys in the middle of a song, especially in an a cappella tune. Also I have come to the realization that not all those that sing for a living really harmonize – whether in secular or gospel music. There are enough quality groups that still make it worth listening for the harmony though. My music preferences today fall along gospel lines and that mostly in the contemporary field.

In my younger years, I enjoyed many types of music and carried a love for the “blues” on through my ‘wandering years’ and even back then I listened for the harmony in their music. These songs were used to fill a large hole in my soul and though they were a momentary comfort, they didn’t solve the real problem. Leaving Jesus Christ out of my life was what caused the large emptiness and when I invited Him back in, suddenly any use that I had for the “blues” was gone. When a person has joy, it is hard to sing the “blues”.

Today, I sing only for my own enjoyment or to scare the crows away. But there is One who appreciates my ‘joyful noise’ and I believe He smiles when I sing much like I smile when my ‘grand’ ones sing. ec

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I love that phrase: “a cacophonous, raucous and very discordant ruckus”!

Somehow the geese and crows serenade reminds me of Psalms 150:

Praise God with trumpet sound;
praise him with lute and harp!
Praise him with tambourine and dance;
praise him with strings and pipe!
Praise him with clanging cymbals;
praise him with loud clashing cymbals!
Let everything that breathes praise the LORD!
Praise the LORD!

1/22/2007 10:21:00 PM  
Blogger The very nice man said...

I love the Blues! How are you feeling now?? Do tell!

1/23/2007 05:14:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Me. Eddie ~~ Music is a big part of our lives, and most bird-songs better
than the geese and crows.
Thanks for your visit and comments about the fires. Some are out, but not all. The rain helped a lot.I heard on
the news, one American saying he had never seen the likes of our fires.
The eucalypts trees just burst into flame and jump from tree to tree and the roar is something mentioned often.
Take care, Regards, Merle.

1/23/2007 09:00:00 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I like to listen to the little ones sing. They sing with gusto and don't care if they know the song or not...

My current favorite song (listened to it thrice this evening on my iPod) is "My Redeemer Lives."

Just trying to get through two of hubby's congregation passing away on Monday. Funeral home every day from yesterday through Friday. Just tired, but I know my redeemer lives!!!

Have a blessed week!

1/23/2007 10:26:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

We have sing-a-longs here from time to time. My playing is a little rusty and my piano is missing a couple of keys (and an absolutely horrible B flat below middle C) but we have a great time.

I played the piano and organ at my church in Arkansas for several years and still remember most of the music. What I don't remember, I can usually fake which is one of the nicer things about traditional music.

1/24/2007 03:30:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I'm sure He smiles too!

1/24/2007 03:43:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - I do very much like that Psalm. When something disturbs me I will sometimes go to the Psalms and just read them out loud to myself and God - helps much.

TVNM - Feeling some better - I'm to go to the doc that did my back surgery tomorrow - hopefully he will release me to be able to do a bit of stuff outside.

Merle - The eucalyptus is a very unusual tree - my BIL planted one on the other side of the pond and it is getting very large. Smells like a big cough drop. :)

Jayleigh - My favorite part of any Christmas program is the singing of the kids and the energy they put into it and like you said, whether they know the words or not.

Brenda - Thanks, I think He does as well. ec

1/24/2007 06:36:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Granny - Wow, I went right across your comment and missed responding, must be getting absent minded. We have a piano and an organ in our den that seldom get played, just banged on a bit by the grands. The Spice plays but is way out of practice. ec

1/24/2007 06:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home