My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

inclinations

Inasmuch as the word declivity means a downward slope, the word acclivity denotes an upward slope, anticlinal describes inclining in opposite directions from a central axis and proclivity defines a natural or habitual inclination, it is sometimes hard to know on a given day exactly which way someone is leaning. But then, since the first three words usually are descriptive of the physical and the last is of the mental, emotional or even (horrors) the political, it is possible that I have mixed my metaphors – if indeed there was a metaphor hidden in there somewhere.

Since we are speaking of natural inclinations or possibly of attitudes, it could depend on the time of day or even the phase of the moon as to the leanings of some folks. Then, others have the proclivity of being the same most all the time and every day – and for some this is always on the bad side and not currying favor with anyone. Of course, not all flavor with curry or even like the taste.

Attitude is sometimes shaped by the general impression of what a person perceives they are accomplishing on a given day or even in a given moment. And if their productivity does not match self-expectations, they feel they are “running in circles”. Since I have not seen any great research on circle running, I feel justified in not knowing as to which direction circle runners actually run. My natural curiosity would wonder if the direction is deasil (clockwise) or withershins (counter-clockwise) and questions as to which would be the best for the purposes intended.

Most of us are familiar with nightmares and maybe have had many, as I have, even though all of mine occurred in the past – since I have yet to live in the future. But I was not even aware that there was such a thing as a daymare, especially not in the book of definitions – there it was though, meaning: a distressing experience, similar to a bad dream, occurring while one is awake. After defining this, it seems that I remember a few of these, again in the past.

The following high-class word and feelings normally would only happen to rich folks or royalty. I have read of folks having a general feeling of malaise: a condition of general bodily weakness or discomfort. The funny thing about the word is this is what I have been feeling for several months – and I’m definitely not rich or royal. Only thing I can figure is that I must have picked it up by accident in a healthcare facility – it evidently was meant for some high-class folks that couldn’t keep their appointment that day.

To daunt is to overcome with fear or to intimidate. It also carries the somewhat milder meaning of to lessen the courage of or to dishearten. There was a type of plane in WWII, a dive-bomber, named the Dauntless. Dauntless basically means fearless but there are not many humans with that particular quality in its purest form and our fears are multitudinous. There is a way to be without fear but it doesn’t come without having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. ec

PS - Obviously this was one of my wandering visits to word land.

5 Comments:

Blogger The very nice man said...

I was somewhat "daunted" by this post but then I read the word "Jesus" and all fear left me!

2/07/2007 10:13:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Hi EC, how's the week been treating you so far?

2/07/2007 02:08:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

TVNM - I do enjoy running the language in circles on occasion. You are right - since God is love and the Word says there is no fear in love, we can live fearless or "dauntless".

Brenda - Been good so far - doc visit today - they are still puzzled as to my condition. Been trying to exercise a bit - overdid it yesterday - sore today - hopefully better tomorrow. ec

2/07/2007 02:40:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Mr. Eddie, you remind me that the words "Be not afraid" or the like appear so often in the Bible.

2/07/2007 06:39:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - One of my favorites: "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love." ec

2/07/2007 09:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home