My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Monday, February 05, 2007

surprise

Our household had quite the exciting weekend with a very unexpected guest dropping by – but first let me set up the scenario. It was Saturday evening and GM1 had been taken out on a “date night” by her Dad – YD and the three younger men in her life were picking up take-out and coming over to visit with us a while. I had talked to her on the cell phone just previously and they were delayed at the take-out place. A short while later, the door opened and my daughter stepped in and with a big smile and said “surprise”!

The odd thing about this was the fact that the daughter that stepped in was the daughter that normally resides in Texas – 1000 miles away. It was momentary confusion in the old brain as I tried to reconcile the person I was seeing with the reality I thought I knew. After happy greetings, the new reality was explained to me. It seems that OD in Texas had not seen me since Thanksgiving and she kept hearing reports of how bad I was doing with my several ailments. When she talked to me I would just say I was doing OK – she couldn’t stand it any longer, she had to come see for herself.

OD had made arrangements for her young ones when FSIL was working and just came right by her lonesome. She had gotten a special weekend rate and flew into Columbia, SC and my other sneaky daughter went and picked her up without a word to us. It was a beautiful thing and we all just mostly sat and talked the whole weekend. She had almost come a couple of weeks before and brought GM5 – but it was probably for the best, according to how bad the Spice said I looked back then.

Today – Monday – was the day she had to go back from her surprise short weekend and the Spice, MIL and I took her back to Columbia to catch her flight home. Among other institutions of higher learning located in that town, it also contains the University of South Carolina – from which OD and FSIL graduated just a few years back – or so it seems, time flies, sometimes whether you have fun or not. We left early for South Carolina’s capitol in order for us to eat at one of her favorite places in that town. This restaurant is a local “plain old food” place and has several locations in that area – the name of the eatery is “Lizard’s Thicket”.

We had an enjoyable meal together and took her on to the airport. We hung around and chatted until her boarding time and sadly departed for home. On the way we detoured to another restaurant for another favorite of the Spice and I – we stopped by “Steak and Shake” for a milk shake. We finally headed back west to our place of abode – arriving about 7:30 in the evening. About 8:30 we got word of her safe arrival in Houston and that she was on the shuttle headed for her van.

The visit was a wonderful surprise and very uplifting for us all. God is good for putting it in her mind and for making the way easier for her to come and I’m grateful. ec

6 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

What a great weekend you must have had!!

Hope your recovery continues apace.

2/05/2007 11:13:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ Glad to read that you had a wonderful surpeise visit from your oldest daughter. Also I ope you are getting on Ok and not working too hard. Take care, Rgards, Merle.

2/06/2007 10:17:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

What a wonderful suprise! You must have been thrilled to pieces.

2/06/2007 10:25:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It sounds as if you have had a great visit. Wonderful!

2/06/2007 06:42:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Such a nice surprise.
We have children in west Texas and we don't see them enough!!!
So, understand your joy.

Betty G

2/06/2007 09:35:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Granny - It was great - concentrated adult conversation - it seemed that we all needed it.

Merle - She just needed to see for herself that I was not about to pass from the scene. We were astounded when she showed up.

AC - Probably one of, if not the best, surprises we have had in many years.

SSN - We would talk until we ran down and then just sit there and enjoy each others presence until more words came.

Betty - I know how you feel at not seeing your kids much - my dear ones live about an hour south of Houston. ec

2/06/2007 09:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home