My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

rainy

The morning was cool and rainy, dreary even, nonetheless the rain is always much needed. The pond is slowly, slowly approaching full stage, about a foot from overflow. The islands that appear in the dry weather have been underwater for a couple of months now and even the large stump that has been visible for a couple of years is now unseen under the surface.

In spite of the weather, the Spice had an appointment and some errands to run – some of necessity and some of ‘want to’. I was facing the new day feeling a bit slow and much ‘left-over’. I ‘broke the fast’ with physical and spiritual food and then endeavored to widen my horizons from the screen of my computer. Still in my recovery period from surgery, it is difficult to sit even there for more than 20 to 30 minutes – you might say that the chair just gets too hard.

Arising from there, I went on to greater and more wonderful things. Since I was still feeling a bit bedraggled, I made my way to the recliner and did what this wonderful chair does best – I reclined. In this restful position, I listened to the small noises of the house. The sound of the frig could be heard out in the next room, and closer still is the computer of the Spice and I could hear it occasionally, thinking to itself. I’m not sure exactly what this machine was plotting but it was definitely something.

The sound of the rain could be heard just outside the back door. Then I heard the very lonely sound of a crow cawing in the rain – that sounds like it would make a good title for a country song – ‘Crows cawing in the rain’. Since I do not speak (or caw) crow, I’m not sure what the flighted one was saying, maybe nothing more than ‘It sure is wet out here’. It was very peaceful, just lying there listening to the rain and drifting in and out of the arms of Morpheus (sleep). God is good – all the time. ec

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I am celebrating the rain we have here (much better for Alex and I than the fluffy water that is snow), but especially temperatures that are 30-50 degrees warmer than they have been.

2/21/2007 08:15:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - Great news - maybe spring will come to you this year after all. My blueberry bushes are not far from blooming - hope a late frost don't catch them. ec

2/21/2007 10:59:00 PM  
Blogger Kila said...

Good post. Listening in the quiet is an art/pasttime folks don't appreciate today.

2/21/2007 11:20:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ What else can one do on a rainy day but recline? How lucky you are to get the rain and how much good it will do. I am sorry you still have trouble sitting for long. Thanks for your comments, I was glad to find the pendant. I do not have any fruit trees, except a Fejoa tree which has lovely flowers and I like the fruit. There is no fruit this year, I guess thanks to the weather. There are huge trees in the yards around me, that drop all sorts of rubbish and shade the yard in Winter. Lots of birds in the trees
mostly pigeons, blackbirds and sometime Kookaburras, which I love
Magpies that sing well. Take care,
Regards, Merle.

2/22/2007 03:22:00 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

It's raining here too and our almond trees and a couple of other fruits are in bloom. A little early and I hope we don't get another freeze.

They're beautiful. Miles and miles of white and pastel blossoms.

My youngest decided to bake cupcakes. They smell good but I'd burn my tongue if I ran and grabbed one now.

She's my cook and baker. Now if I could only teach her to not use the entire kitchen for one batch of baking.

Take care.

And thanks for the comment. Bloglines is giving me fits and so I'm just skipping around from my email.

2/22/2007 01:52:00 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

We've celebrated rain all winter. Yesterday, it was so sunny and bright I decided to go for two long walks. Unfortunately, I was not in top shape for such endeavors, and I am....ahem....much reclined today.

2/22/2007 06:04:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good post!!
I thought of all the sounds you relished and it was good to me.
My hearing is nearly gone and I hate to wear the hearing aides, but of course, I have to. If I leave them off, all sounds die but it is so peaceful!!!
I always enjoy what you write.
And I am thankful my eyes are good!!

Betty G

2/22/2007 09:10:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

one of my favorite pastimes is a sleep on a rainy day.

2/22/2007 10:17:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Kila - It just seems like most everyone is in too big of a hurry to enjoy the quietness.

Merle - It was a good day of reclining - that was about all I felt like doing. I'll have to check out whether Fejoas will grow around here - that is if they are available.

Granny - We have very little in bloom yet, but the blueberries are getting very close to it. I cook a little and it has been mentioned to me that I make a mess in so doing. :)

Bonita - It seems to go in cycles with me, I will work or walk in a big way one day and it takes half the next day to get going - hence the tendency toward reclining.

Itsboopchile - Thanks! The natural sounds are the ones that I enjoy the best - bird song, rain, wind and even thunder. One of my favorites is the sighing of the wind through the needles of a pine forest.

Brenda - It is a beautiful thing to sleep under a tin roof (if it doesn't leak). Someone told me that since they didn't have a tin roof, they placed a large piece of tin outside their bedroom window and that worked just fine. ec

2/23/2007 02:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home