My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

mo progress

The work around Blueberry Hill continues at a slow pace as per usual. Sometimes so slow that one would have to line up a couple of stakes to see if I have moved. Of course if one would line up a couple of steaks, like on a grill, the reaction time and movement might be a bit quicker. The problem with getting too rambunctious on a given day is that most of the next day I pay for my folly in achy muscles.

The two large fig trees on the north side of the house were in need of pruning and shaping up a bit. Much wood was taken off and hauled to the refuse pile. The one on the far end of the garden was pruned severely because its limbs were in all directions, hopefully it will shape up now. The largest one on the near side of the veggie growing place lost many limbs as well, but mostly just to facilitate getting under the tree without getting slapped or jabbed in the face.

We normally do not have any burn regulations in this area, only if it is very dry for a very long time. Still I do not burn leaves since these are so valuable for mulch – plus they smoke up the place. My refuse or burn pile is made up of limbs and wood placed in a cone shape to burn quickly with as little smoke as possible. Such was the case this time as well, I touched off the fire with a propane torch and with a minimum of smoke it reduced itself to a pile of ashes in a fairly short while. Of course I was standing by with my trusty garden hose if it dared to get out of hand.

It then came time to play “tag” with the big bad Rugosa rose plant that was in dire need of pruning. As I have mentioned before, this plant produces rose ‘hips’ that are good to eat and is one of the most concentrated natural forms of vitamin C. The flower of the plant lasts only a couple of days or so but if properly pollinated, the base of the flower (the hip) will enlarge and when ripe will turn a deep orange/red. The fruit is small and hollow with many seeds but is still pretty tasty.

Anyway, back to the game of “tag”, I became “it” right away and as is my usual MO (modus operandi), I cut off the limb that tagged me – that was my “tag”. The limbs of this plant have one of the highest concentrations of thorns per inch of any prickly entity I have dealt with. The plant was very scraggly at first, with limbs going off in all directions but the pruning of the limbs continued until it was looking pretty decent. Many “tags” and counter-tags were involved before the final loping off of a limb, so I guess the game came out about even.

The next few days of weather promise to be below freezing at night so I am still pretty safe in my pruning – plus the only thing I have left is the main blueberry patch. This patch has space for 21 plants and 17 of the spaces have mature plants residing. One of the spaces is vacant due to a plant death, one has a young plant that was replaced last year and the other two have ailing bushes that need to be replaced – possibly with another variety.

Only four of the mature plants have been pruned, so I still have plenty of work to do – plus many of the plants are on the verge of budding out, so the work must be completed ASAP. We are on the verge of spring!! Spring is my most favorite season, followed closely by the other three. God does all things well and I am amazed at His work. ec

7 Comments:

Blogger Kila said...

I so enjoy your writing. Very talented, you are.

Best of luck with your jobs! Take it easy.

It won't be spring here for some time yet, about 2-3 months. I'll enjoy reading about your early spring!

2/14/2007 11:45:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ Glad you are getting the better of the necessary pruning.You have done well,after having that surgery. Just take care, won't you ?
Thanks fr your comments - - First I hope your sister had a lovely birthday on the 14th. And I was gladw e only needed.Great to have all going well again. The Tablecloth story was a lovely one. Two miracles,the woman who had made the cloth, and then her husband also turning up. I hadn't seen it before. Cheers, Merle.

2/15/2007 12:52:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Ut Oh, I better get those two roses pruned now? It's so cold outside that I keep putting it off.
All your hard work will result in a beautiful garden come Spring and Summer.

Happy Thursday!

2/15/2007 07:48:00 AM  
Blogger Bonita said...

I'm so amazed at YOUR work! I like the idea of the teepee of limbs for the fire. And, of course, you can sprinkle those ashes into the garden to sweeten the soil. Good goin', Mr. Eddie. ~ Bonita

2/15/2007 03:31:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Kila - Thank you. Spring is just a few weeks away for us and I'm running out of time to get my pruning done. Hopefully I have timed it to have everything completed.

Merle - Completed two more bushes today with only ten more to go. They also need more mulch but that is not as urgent as the pruning. My Sis had a great birthday, her friend took her out for lunch and the group of ladies she plays cards with had her over for a birthday supper - big day.

Brenda - You probably have a few more weeks than I have down here. I usually just try to get the pruning done before the plants start budding.

Bonita - The teepee fire came from the short time I was a scoutmaster - years ago now. And you are so right about the ashes. ec

2/15/2007 05:46:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I truly miss doing yard work. I also miss warm weather. Perhaps the Good Lord will provide me with both soon?

2/15/2007 08:03:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - The warm weather always seems to take too long to get back to us - of course then it goes and gets too warm. :) ec

2/15/2007 10:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home