My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Monday, February 19, 2007

medley

This is a medley of several small pieces of my life here on Blueberry Hill. It seems to me that something that is supposed to be healthy should be only that – but it appears this is not the case. The purchase of several cups of yogurt happened about a week ago and the main thing I was looking for in the ingredients was the presence of active yogurt cultures. These bacteria are the ones that are good for the stomach and digestion, and I have needed these of late.

After verifying these were present in the product, I scooped up several among my other items to be purchased and brought them home – I should have read further in the ingredients. It was after the consumption of the first cup of the product that I noticed an odd sweet aftertaste. Then I read all the ingredients and saw that it was sweetened with sucralose – my spell check doesn’t even like that word – by Splenda. Aaarrrgh – that is fake sugar and likely to cause a person to get fake fat.

I’m a person that likes to keep it real and if I want to get fat, I want the real stuff not the fake. How could one even get rid of fake fat – would you have to go on a fake diet? Not only that, but further reading told me that the blueberries were colored with artificial colors. Now I am a raiser and appreciator of blueberries and I like the color just the way it is with the berry – now I’m going to have funny colored insides from the fake color – probably for a long time.

Speaking of sweets, I bought the Spice a large, red, heart-shaped box of assorted chocolates for Valentines Day. The box is about half gone now, with the Spice preferring mostly the milk chocolates and me preferring anything that she doesn’t prefer. Basically, I hate to throw anything away, even calorie-laden sweets, so my job is to save them from being discarded so that their calories do not just leech away into the elements of the outside world. For me to consume these discards is a tough job but somebody has to do it.

We have taken to putting the candy pieces that she might eat on the right side of the box and her rejects on the left. This is a bit like the coming judgment, with the sheep on the right and the goats on the left. At this moment the left side is empty, the ‘goats’ in this case have all gone to inner darkness to be processed. The toughest part of my job is waiting for more pieces to be rejected.

This turned out to be a notable day for me inasmuch as it was the day in which I completed pruning the blueberries and now all the pruning for the season is done on the whole place. The next job that is due to be done would seem to be the mulching of the blueberries, since that is getting pretty thin. This mulch conserves moisture, helps keep the plants cool in summer and also keeps the weeds down. Most anything organic would do but I am going with some pine straw and bark. The toughest part of this job is going to be cleaning out the volunteer growths under the bushes.

These growths are mostly the low-growing brambles that are a pretty prickly situation to deal with. Even though these are tough, I can deal with them but for other sticky situations of life, I have to have a much higher power to meet the need. If you have something you can’t handle in life, my Friend would be glad to help out if you will just ask Him. ec

9 Comments:

Blogger Bonita said...

There is no substitute for the real thing, both in sweetners and in scripture. We know it when we experience it! I'm glad your sweetie shares her chocolates, as there also is no substitute for thoughtfulness and appreciation. You gave both of these on Valentine's Day.

2/19/2007 10:40:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Bonita - So true! We have shared many things and years now, this June will be 44 years and on our way to forever together. ec

2/20/2007 12:55:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I know that yogurt after taste well; however, I've not been aware enough to check the ingredients.

Congratulations on "volunteering" to be the one eating the "goats."

Speaking of volunteers, I have a friend to is celebrating a volunteer tree growing in her front yard. It makes me feel a bit ashamed because I have recently radically terminated a few volunteer trees in my front yard.

2/20/2007 07:15:00 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Mmmm chocolate rejects!!!

2/20/2007 10:23:00 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

btw have you ever thought of making your own yogurt?

2/20/2007 10:24:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - I must be more careful to check ingredients next time. My volunteer trees all seem to grow in the wrong places. ec

2/20/2007 10:59:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Jayleigh - The rejects are really good! It seems that someone I knew used to make yogurt by using a small part of the culture in fresh milk - makes sense but I haven't tried it. My Mom used to make a kind of yogurt/buttermilk about that same way - we liked it back then. ec

2/20/2007 11:05:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ Glad you have all the pruning done now except for volunteer growth.I hadn't heard that expression before. I have oodles of small trees that need removing as there are lots of trees around me and also birds. Sorry about the yogurt having fake flavors and sweetener. I take Acidophilus Bifidus small white capsules to do the same job, Glad you and your wife are enjoying the chocolates, I have one sometimes.
Take care, Regards, Merle/

2/21/2007 02:20:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Merle - It is good to have the pruning done - now on to the mulching (putting straw under them). I went yesterday and got several bales of pine straw since I have none available on the place. The Spice needs to "reject" some more chocolates for me to 'dispose' of. :) ec

2/21/2007 03:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home