My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Sunday, March 04, 2007

ponderables

At another time and in another place, a very thought provoking segment of language was passed on to me by one of my favorite nephews: Pondering the imponderables. Somehow this seems so much more reflective than even reflecting on the unreflectables because if something is not reflected to begin with, how and where can the reflection begin. But this might be more reasonable than reasoning with the unreasonables – especially since things or people of this latter persuasion can be very unreasonable.

To cogitate the incogitatables would be right up there close, but I think only intellectuals cogitate – but then who can really correctly identify these individuals. One could deliberate the undeliberatables but it takes longer to deliberate and the process is harder to interrupt if one suddenly has to get on with a real life. Closer to the original premise of pondering is to contemplate the uncontemplatables, but this seems to imply that a decision must be made and sometimes that is tough.

To ruminate the unruminatables would be OK, except in action it is very close to a bovine activity and that just doesn’t seem to be intellectual enough. All of this plus where is the time to even think the unthinkables, which also seems to be an unthinkable thing to do.

While pondering on all these thought provoking things, an old song came to mind – ‘The Impossible Dream’ or more accurately, ‘The Quest’. The song was from a Broadway musical and was a hit back in the “olden days” – those of us that are ‘olden’ might possibly even remember it.

Lyrics follow: “To dream the impossible dream – To fight the unbeatable foe – To bear with unbearable sorrow – To run where the brave dare not go. To right the unrightable wrong – To be better far than you are – To try when your arms are too weary – To reach the unreachable star. >> This is my quest, to follow that star, No matter how hopeless, no matter how far – To be willing to give when there’s no more to give – To be willing to die so that honor and justice may live.

And I know if I’ll only be true to this glorious quest – That my heart will lie peaceful and calm when I’m laid to my rest. >> And the world will be better for this – That one man scorned and covered with scars – Still strove with his last ounce of courage – To reach the unreachable star.”

The impossible dream in our day seems to be ‘world peace’ – and it is impossible to have peace in our world the way the human mind wants to have it. This is because we are born flawed beings and at war with the One who made us all. The only way peace is even possible is to seek it first with our maker on an individual basis, because real peace only comes from the inside. ec

7 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

Eddie, I just read this to Rob and he said, "THAT WAS AWESOME."

I agree wholeheartedly.

It's enjoyable to read through your circular speech and always end up in the same place, worshipping and thanking the One who made us. :-)

3/05/2007 08:47:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Jayleigh - Thanks - I do enjoy playing with words and my love for the Lord is always bottom line. ec

3/05/2007 10:03:00 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

Awesome is a good description. I do admire your way with words.

Man of La Mancha is one of my favorites.

Thanks for the comment. No leftovers tonight, I cooked.

3/05/2007 07:14:00 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

This is such a wonderful, powerful post, Mr.Eddie! World Peace is enevitable if man is capable of spiritual transformation and sets lofty goals. It surely will not happen if man doesn't aspire for it.

3/05/2007 08:43:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Granny - Thanks, I had fun writing it. I've never minded eating leftovers, especially if they were as good as yours sounded.

Bonita - Right, peace will not happen just because we force someone not to fight. Saw a thing years ago that said it all - No Jesus, no peace - Know Jesus, know peace. ec

3/05/2007 11:09:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I can remember singing "The Impossible Dream" at my middle school graduation. Is that olden enough?
Oh, and,
EC, knowledge is power. :-)

3/06/2007 07:22:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Brenda - You sang "The Impossible Dream" in middle school? Wow, I was so shy even through high school that I could hardly talk in front of over three people. Knowledge is power and I've heard it said that with knowledge comes the necessity for action. ec

3/06/2007 08:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home