My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Friday, March 23, 2007

regular day

It was a day similar to many in the past but unlike all of them because this one had never happened before. After a slow morning of wondering where I was and what I was doing, I finally got outside about 3pm to get a bit done on the blueberry bed. Fair progress was made, getting the grass out of a portion and placing 12 more border blocks. With the straw also placed, the bed is now complete about half-way up the front side. Hopefully this huge task will be completed by the week’s end.

As I was working I happened to look over at the small paw paw trees on the other side of the driveway and the last one in the row looked like it had small objects hanging on the limbs. Thinking this the work of some sort of insect, I walked over to check it out. Much to my surprise, these were the beginnings of blooms. The reason for the surprise was that I had never seen a paw paw bloom before and I thought this one was still too young to do so.

These four trees were planted in 2002 and usually it takes about 7 to 8 years for them to start to produce anything, this according to what I read. The odd thing about this was also the fact that this tree was not the largest of the four. The two closer to the house are the largest at about 4 feet and this one is only about 3 – the other one is the runt of the litter at only about 2 feet, must be very poor soil at its planting site. I have no idea that fruit will actually result, but it does have to bloom in order to bear the produce and this is my first experience with them.

The work session lasted about 3 ½ hours and this was the longest I had been out at one time in several months. It felt good to be out but I was totally worn out by the time I came in. The Spice had been out for an appointment and brought us some takeout for supper. We munched on that while we watched a DVD that we had rented and already had for a week. The title was “Open Season”, an animated movie and while it wasn’t quite up to “Shrek” – my standard – it was enjoyable nonetheless.

After it was over, the Spice had some work to finish so I climbed in the truck and took the movie back to the place it belonged. After safely delivering it back to its origin, I saw an unusual sight as I was exiting the parking lot. This was about 9:30pm and directly in front of the exit was two TV towers, side-by-side and lighted all the way up. Directly between them and about halfway up was a bright crescent moon that was positioned in such a way that it looked like the large smile of the disappearing cat in “Alice in Wonderland”. I thought this comical but I guess one had to be there.

The Spice was to be a chaperone for GM1’s band trip early next morning so YD brought the middle schooler and baggage over to spend the night. We drug out of bed and got to school at the unearthly hour of 5:45am – the sun didn’t even want to show itself yet. The trip will be two days and one night. I came home and relaxed in the recliner for a while and then called an old workmate to meet me for breakfast. We met and ate, he brought the daily crossword and we conquered it as well. We chatted, compared ailments and finally departed, each back to respective places of abode.

God is good in emergencies or on just a regular day. ec

9 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

I've heard of the paw paw (way down yonder in the paw paw patch) ever since I can remember but I've never seen one.

I'm sure we don't grow them here (or pretty sure) but I wonder if they're in the produce section of the stores.

3/23/2007 03:31:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

According to what I've read, the fruit doesn't ship very well and is probably not available commercially. I've never seen one either, so if one grows that will be my first. I bought them from our nursery mostly out of curiousity and just to see if I could grow them - a hobby of mine. ec

3/23/2007 08:43:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Are we thinking of the same tree?
Do the blossoms hand like wisteria and are orchid and velvety?
I don't remember any fruit. I only remember the long pods and the hard shell seeds.

Glad to hear you feel like working outside.

Betty G

3/23/2007 08:57:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

itsboopchile - I'm not sure how they are supposed to do but the one small blossom that is open is a single one and is presently somewhat of a bronze color. The fruit is supposed to be somewhat oval and taste like a cross between an apple and a banana. ec

3/23/2007 09:05:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I now have the "Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch" song in my head. You need a camera ec, to show us these wonders of yours.

3/23/2007 09:55:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Exuse me!! The tree we called a paw paw in Memphis, years and and years ago, was the Paulownia. Does that ring a bell with you ?

They were huge, 50 or more high and about 30 or more wide with huge leaves. The blossoms were soft, velvety, orchid, and hanging like wisteria, which is one of my favorite flowers, not forgetting the sweetpeas of the south. No one grows them here.

Seeds pods in the fall were in clusters, like huge pecans, but full of seeds and the shell was like a thin wood, crustier than the pecan.
It's the wisteria that has long, green seed pods.

A couple of other trees I loved were the tulip tree and the magnolia, the southern kind with the huge while, soft like suede, blossoms. They smelled wonderful but turned brown awfully quick. Some people burned the stiff, dried leaves though I don't think my uncles did.

My memory gets shorter every day!!!
But sweeter!!!

Betty g

3/23/2007 11:29:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, God is good and so are God's blessings--whenever.

I miss "regular days" as I remember them.

3/23/2007 11:49:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr.Eddie ~~ Glad to read that you are gradually getting the blueberry garden edges ensconced. A big job under the circumstances. I will have to try banana and mayo
sandwiches, and maybe add cheese.
I often slice a banana on to my salads and add mayo, so it's not strange at all. Had a great visit with Peter, who I hope is now safely home in Gympie, Q'ld. Take care,
Regads, Merle.

3/24/2007 05:43:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Brenda - The camera is not the problem, it's the old dog that does not know the new tricks of putting them on the post. :)

itsboopchile - I'm very familar with wisteria but have not heard of the paulownia. We have an abundance of the magnolias around here and even a few of the tulip trees, the flower of this latter is a particular favorite of mine.

SSN - And His mercy endures through all generations. The "regular days" seem to be slipping from me as well, or at least changing a bit.

Merle - Glad for you good visit with Peter. Hope to get the blueberry bed completed today - this will almost call for a celebration. ec

3/24/2007 11:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home