My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Texas trip - 2

AC pointed out that I missed the date of our departure by a month - it was on March 30th. This is a continuation of the same day. The plane we took from Augusta to Atlanta was a smaller commuter turbo-prop and we were fully loaded with people. While this aircraft seemed to be very air worthy and sturdy, it had a lot of vibration and noise. It seemed to have somewhat the noise level of a riding lawn mower and not much more comfort in the seating therein – but they did give us a small bottle of water and a pack of peanuts.

We got to Atlanta late because of leaving late and I thought we might have trouble being on time for our flight to Houston. My concern was for naught because we went down and caught the “subway” to the proper concourse and even after a visit to the necessary rooms, we had a few minutes to wait before boarding.

This time we were on a jet and our conveyance was so much smoother and quieter, plus I got a cookie AND a pack of peanuts along with the water. We did have some bumpy air as we were getting up to altitude and a couple of times on the flight. The descent into the Houston airport was pretty rough due to a storm front but I’ve been in worse. As soon as we were on the tarmac we were allowed to turn our cell phones back on and we called OD and found out that she, GM2 and GM5 were already in baggage claim waiting for us.

We de-planed and found our way to that area. After happy greetings we stood around waiting for luggage to come down the magic conveyer. We finally got one of the four bags and were the last ones standing around waiting for more. The luggage person came over and informed us that our other three were still in Augusta – in this case, Delta wasn’t ready when we were.

Since the flight from Augusta was fully loaded, they didn’t send some of the luggage because of weight. They didn’t even send them on the next flight, but would send then on the first flight on Saturday and bring them out to us. Being very trusting, with a touch of naïvety, I had put all my meds and vitamins in one of those left behind bags – as well as all toilet articles.

With a large feeling of broken trust, we took our one bag to OD’s van and went to other parts of Houston. Our first place to stop was at P F Chang’s Chinese Bistro, since OD had wanted us to eat there. The food was good as the name was fancy and was enjoyed by all – but we had to bring several boxes of leftovers home. Even an hour later I still wasn’t hungry.

Our next stop was another place that OD had been telling me about – Central Market. This place was a huge fresh market and had more produce than I have ever seen, in volume or in variety. I had never even heard of some of this stuff – they even had tiny Russian banana potatoes and several other types of this veggie that I didn’t know was in existence. We wandered around in amazement for a while and finally departed for her residence.

We had to stop on the way to her home to pick up some toothbrushes for the night and hoped that the bags would be in the next day. Even though our luggage was lost, I knew that God was still good – all the time. ec

PS - Today, April 1st, is my birthday - 66.

4 Comments:

Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Happy Birthday, Mreddie!
I just read a reminder at Holtie's House that it is your birthday, and 'BornFool's B'day! I should have remembered from last year-as it is also my husband's birthday!

:) I will be * 66* on MAY 5th...so you and I are the same age!

My goodness! Time sure flies when you're having fun!

BTW- Hope your luggage has arrived by now!

June

4/01/2007 10:58:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Junierose - Thanks - Wow, two of my 'grands' were born on the next two dates from you. GM3 has a birthday on May 6th (he will be 5) and GM1 was born on May 7th (she will be 14). From my post you know that I am out of town and may have trouble commenting back. The last piece of luggage came early Sunday morning. ec

4/01/2007 11:09:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ Just a quick Hello to say Happy Birthday, a bit late. I hope you had a really nice birthday
and your trip is going well. I am a bit behind reading so will catch up in a day or so (I hope)
Take care, Regards, Merle.

4/02/2007 10:36:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Merle - Thanks much - we are having a great time with OD and grands even though the weather has been a bit wet so far. Using OD's computer, I don't have blog addresses and some I can't even pull up from comments - frustrating. ec

4/02/2007 12:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home