My Photo
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Saturday, July 31, 2010

BBH 486

Blueberry Hill report #486 – Even in the midst of summer’s heat I have found many bright and encouraging spots, not that the dark places are absent; they are just not worth mentioning. To start with my blueberry harvest was phenomenal but I finally quit picking because the rest of the fruit was scattered, small and of poor quality.

The final tally of blueberries was 137 zip-loc quart containers in the freezer. The same day the blueberry picking was called off I picked 10 gallons of figs – from one tree. Four of the remaining fig bushes are very small and the medium sized one hasn’t been picked yet. Most of my fig and blueberry bushes/trees need to be weeded and mulched – on a much cooler day.

One of the four paw-paw trees bore fruit this year and now I have finally tasted this slightly odd delicacy – it’s like a mild fruity custard. The three hazel nut trees on the south end of the house are struggling, too much sand and not enough moisture I think. The three pineapple quava trees are OK but still too young to bear fruit, as are the three pomegranates.

The two jujube trees are a different story. They are bearing fruit this their first year – they were purchased as larger trees. This is another fruit I have never tasted but am looking forward to doing so. The single pear tree has some fruit but not loaded like last year, this is because I pruned them so severely last winter.

The hazel nut trees on the northeast end of the house are doing well – much better soil. Just below them, the muscadines have many grapes but are not quite ripe – that happens between now and Labor Day. Little work has been done at Fort Gruntmonkey due to the heat – even though I did work about three hours down there a couple mornings ago, splitting and stacking firewood. Afterwards I came in soaked in sweat.

Praise God for His provision, I enjoy this place we call Blueberry Hill and am grateful for it. ec


Blogger ancient one said...

Our five blueberry bushes had very little fruit this year... It was too dry.. One of the bushes came off a little later than the others and it received a little rain. Not to worry, I still have bags of blueberries in the freezer from last year.

Sounds like you've been busy. It was really hot for awhile, wasn't it? Thursday nights storms have cooled things a lot for the last couple of days.

7/31/2010 03:12:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Yes, I have been very busy - too busy when I don't take the time to write something. We too have had a storm and hopefully it will cool just a bit. It has been upper 90s here for a couple of weeks but next week is predicted to be mid-90s - not much of a break but every little bit helps. ec

7/31/2010 11:47:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ Nice to hear from you again and many congratulations
on the blueberry harvest, and the figs etc etc. It is all a lot of work for you but the rewards are many. I haven't even heard of jujube so I have no idea of their taste. I have written on my shopping list to get some pawpaw on my fruit list.
I am sorry it has been too hot for you and it is still cold here. I only have one crook leg, the other is fine so hope the sching one
soon heals. Keep well my friend, and don't overdo things.
Take care, Regards, Merle.

8/01/2010 06:50:00 AM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

I enjoyed my visit back to Blueberry Hill! :) It still sounds like a wonderful place to be.


8/01/2010 10:01:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Merle - I don't know how a jujube tastes either but will find out when they get ripe - just trying something new.

JunieRose - I do enjoy Blueberry Hill.

8/04/2010 09:40:00 AM  
Blogger CabinWriter-- said...

I'm surprised your figs have ripened. Ours begin picking about mid-July, just as the mornings are almost too hot to pick. I have one tree so I shouldn't complain about picking those lucious fruit. Your fruit and nut trees must keep you busy.

6/21/2011 10:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home