My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Saturday, July 31, 2010

BBH 486

Blueberry Hill report #486 – Even in the midst of summer’s heat I have found many bright and encouraging spots, not that the dark places are absent; they are just not worth mentioning. To start with my blueberry harvest was phenomenal but I finally quit picking because the rest of the fruit was scattered, small and of poor quality.

The final tally of blueberries was 137 zip-loc quart containers in the freezer. The same day the blueberry picking was called off I picked 10 gallons of figs – from one tree. Four of the remaining fig bushes are very small and the medium sized one hasn’t been picked yet. Most of my fig and blueberry bushes/trees need to be weeded and mulched – on a much cooler day.

One of the four paw-paw trees bore fruit this year and now I have finally tasted this slightly odd delicacy – it’s like a mild fruity custard. The three hazel nut trees on the south end of the house are struggling, too much sand and not enough moisture I think. The three pineapple quava trees are OK but still too young to bear fruit, as are the three pomegranates.

The two jujube trees are a different story. They are bearing fruit this their first year – they were purchased as larger trees. This is another fruit I have never tasted but am looking forward to doing so. The single pear tree has some fruit but not loaded like last year, this is because I pruned them so severely last winter.

The hazel nut trees on the northeast end of the house are doing well – much better soil. Just below them, the muscadines have many grapes but are not quite ripe – that happens between now and Labor Day. Little work has been done at Fort Gruntmonkey due to the heat – even though I did work about three hours down there a couple mornings ago, splitting and stacking firewood. Afterwards I came in soaked in sweat.

Praise God for His provision, I enjoy this place we call Blueberry Hill and am grateful for it. ec

6 Comments:

Blogger ancient one said...

Our five blueberry bushes had very little fruit this year... It was too dry.. One of the bushes came off a little later than the others and it received a little rain. Not to worry, I still have bags of blueberries in the freezer from last year.

Sounds like you've been busy. It was really hot for awhile, wasn't it? Thursday nights storms have cooled things a lot for the last couple of days.

7/31/2010 03:12:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Yes, I have been very busy - too busy when I don't take the time to write something. We too have had a storm and hopefully it will cool just a bit. It has been upper 90s here for a couple of weeks but next week is predicted to be mid-90s - not much of a break but every little bit helps. ec

7/31/2010 11:47:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ Nice to hear from you again and many congratulations
on the blueberry harvest, and the figs etc etc. It is all a lot of work for you but the rewards are many. I haven't even heard of jujube so I have no idea of their taste. I have written on my shopping list to get some pawpaw on my fruit list.
I am sorry it has been too hot for you and it is still cold here. I only have one crook leg, the other is fine so hope the sching one
soon heals. Keep well my friend, and don't overdo things.
Take care, Regards, Merle.

8/01/2010 06:50:00 AM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

I enjoyed my visit back to Blueberry Hill! :) It still sounds like a wonderful place to be.


Junie

8/01/2010 10:01:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Merle - I don't know how a jujube tastes either but will find out when they get ripe - just trying something new.

JunieRose - I do enjoy Blueberry Hill.

8/04/2010 09:40:00 AM  
Blogger Viv said...

I'm surprised your figs have ripened. Ours begin picking about mid-July, just as the mornings are almost too hot to pick. I have one tree so I shouldn't complain about picking those lucious fruit. Your fruit and nut trees must keep you busy.

6/21/2011 10:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home