My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

problems

A problem is defined as any question or matter involving doubt, uncertainty, or difficulty. Synonymous with the word problem is: question, query, poser, puzzle, riddle, conundrum, difficulty, disagreement, and disputed point. The odd thing about a problem is that it differs from person to person and what some consider a problem may even be thought to be a blessing by others.

A case in point would be a young child with a poopie diaper. To most parents or caregivers this would be a problem to be solved, to give ease and comfort to the baby as well as to the older one’s sense of smell. But if this same infant person had not had one of these types of “problems” in several days, this poopie diaper would be considered a blessing, for the relief of the young one as well as the older person concerned about the health of this miniature being.

Then there is the thought that the magnitude of a given problem varies from person to person because we not only perceive things differently but our attitude towards them is different. For instance the more senior among us may not consider the problems of the young very much of a conundrum. On pondering this, I remembered an old song from my past, presented to the world by the Everly Brothers – in the late 50s, if memory serves. The title of this musical piece was simply “Problems”.

The song: “Problems, problems, problems all day long > Will my problems work out right or wrong > My baby don’t like anything I do > My teacher seems to feel the same way too”. While some among us might be able to associate with these first two phrases, the latter two seem to be only for the young. That is unless phrase three refers to an infant that the parent is trying to pacify and #4 refers to an older person that has gone back to school.

The song continues: “Worries, worries pile upon my head > Woe is me, I should have stayed in bed. > Can’t get the car my marks ain’t been so good > My love life just ain’t swinging like it should”. Again, most of us even more responsible adults can relate to the first two phrases but are the last two only for the young? #3 could apply to older folks if they have been marked up with too many tickets and their car has been towed. And #4 might apply to an older Tarzan unable to find a suitable Jane for his jungle vine swinging adventures.

More of the song: “Problems, problems, problems > They’re all on account of my loving you like I do > Problems, problems, problems > They won’t be solved until I’m sure of you > You can solve my problems with a love that’s true”. This would seem to refer to a problem of the young and old, the need for real love. But just love from another person will not solve all of anyone’s problems.

The song ends with: “Problems, problems, problems all day long > Problems, problems, problems all day long . . . . “ (the song fades). Our problems continue, some large and some not so much so but how do I solve them?

More times than we realize, our problem is not our real problem; our problem is a failure to see that there is a solution to our problem. The reason for this is that any solution, other than the one we want, is discounted as unworkable or not a real solution. And with this discounting, the problem becomes insurmountable and not only did the problem remain unsolved, the hopelessness of the insurmountability quotient grows from molehill to mountain size and will continue to block the view of, or hinder any future solutions of any other problem.

It has been my experience over the years that God, through His Word or His Spirit, has always had the answer to every problem I have faced. You realize that I’m speaking of problems more severe than trying to decide which outfit or shoes to wear the next day. His solution sometimes changes the bad situation, sometimes it changes me to endure it and sometimes He enlightens my mind to be able to solve my own problem – just to see if I will still give Him praise for the solution. In whatever way, God always has the solution if we will choose to accept it. ec

12 Comments:

Blogger Bonita said...

Great post, MrEddie. I think sometimes we have a problem facing the solution to a problem, as you have indicated. Sometimes it is inertia, or timidity, loss of initiative or courage. They all are spiritual issues, with the solution you've presented - trust in God. And, be patient.

3/15/2006 06:17:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

bonita - After we have done all we know, then it is as you say - trust in God and be patient - very difficult in our hard charging society. ec

3/15/2006 07:54:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Mr Eddie Great post about how we look at and solve problems. There is always a solution and this is why it is so sad that some folks turn to suicide.
And God is always with us and can
find the answers to all problems.
We only have to ask. Cheers, Merle

3/16/2006 02:45:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

merle - Yes, God always has the answer, it's just that some folks don't want His solution. ec

3/16/2006 09:50:00 AM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

I had been praying for a while for Wanda and I to be able to give up smoking. So God handed us a "problem". She had what the Dr. labeled as bronchitis and I had something simmilar but not as bad. We had to stop smoking or face a long period of coughing. And actually smoking was unappealing considering the situation. We quit and havn't had a smoke in about a month now. Sometimes our problems are Gods way of making our lives better. Kind of like a loving father giving us a smack on the backside.

3/16/2006 09:57:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

TMG - That is great! That is just like the Lord to give us a way out of our problems. And I have had a few of those kinds of smacks on the backside before as well. :) ec

3/16/2006 01:42:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi again Mr Eddie ~ Thanks for your comments and interest. We have all sorts of stone fruits around here -
Peaches, apricots,plums, also pears
and tomatos as well. Usually we pay dearly in the shops, but can go to orchards for bargains. I forgot cherries. Lots of orchards and seasonal workers to pick fruit or
prune the trees. Cheers, Merle.

3/16/2006 07:25:00 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

I love how God can use the difficulties and hardships in our lives for our good and to teach us and help us grow. Remembering this when I want to complain about a problem helps me to pause and think about what good God wants for me to experience from this "problem". It all comes down to do we trust God. If we don't trust His wisdom then we will get into snags. But if we trust Him completely He will show us the way He would have us go.
What a wonderful God we serve! :)

3/16/2006 07:54:00 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

And I agree soooooo much with Macbean!! I was battling chronic migraines. Come to find out I have tons of food allergies that were causing them. I was turning to food for comfort instead of to the Lord. I am so thankful that the Lord has given me all these food allergies so now I have no choice but to turn to Him in times of trial. He allowed the food allergies so I would have to turn to Him only for comfort. Oh, how wonderful and loving He is!

3/16/2006 07:59:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

merle - Sounds like a great place. The wife and I go a few miles north of here and get bargains on peaches at the packing plant. My relatives in Florida go to the groves and get deals on oranges, grapefruit and tangerines much the same way. Thanks.

adannells - So many things that I considered problems in my past were simply lessons that He wanted me to learn. We can heed His Word and listen to His Spirit or we can learn the hard way - more times than I care to mention I have gone the hard way. But God is still good, all the time. ec

3/16/2006 09:27:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I’ll take the “difficulty” definition at the moment. I’ve been trying to post to my blog for 2 hours and keep getting an error message and I don’t even know what it means: “001 java.io.IOException: EOF while reading from control connection.”

3/16/2006 10:51:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - The same thing happened to me last night and this morning but I finally got it to post - not sure how at the moment. ec

3/17/2006 08:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home