My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Sunday, January 27, 2008

planning

As my vehicle and I hurtled down the interstate, my mind pondered the things of winter and as winters go, this one has been about as barren as any. Along the borders of the highway many trees stand with leafless limbs held skyward as though in surrender to the coldness of the elements. The only deciduous leaves left on the limbs are sparse and scattered, in addition to being dead and brown.

The bright spot in all of this was the green of the pine needles and these trees seem to be doing the best they can with the converting of carbon dioxide into oxygen for us humans. These things were noted along the route of my travel but also noted was the thought that came to me about the fact that we all have a choice as to how we face or deal with the cold barrenness of the wintertime.

We can choose to be stressed, oppressed and depressed about the conditions of the cold season landscape or we can take a closer look at the trees. Inspection shows that every branch and twig of these dead looking trees has buds on the end of each. These buds are the future leaves and/or flowers that will come forth in the spring – the trees and bushes are planning ahead for the growing season, even in the midst of winter. Of course if they die in the winter, they quit planning. Even with humans, death has a way of putting a kink in our plans, especially if we are the dead one.

My reason for being out and about on that particular morning was to meet my good friend for b’fast. For many years now he and I have been able to discuss most any subject with great depth and seriousness or with total vacuity, sometimes in the same sentence. We met at the Waffle House over in Augusta and had an entertaining time eating and discussing the vagaries and vicissitudes of life. We finally had to part company and go on to other chores, appointments and duties of the day.

The geese had really been making a ruckus out on the pond and the neighbor’s pond for most of the day – at least at the times I was able to observe or listen to them. An occasional glance out saw them busy with some sort of pecking order – literally. They would fly or swim at each other in a threatening manner, making as much noise as possible and flapping until one of them gave way.

It struck me that maybe this was a beginning part of the process of planning ahead for this year’s gosling crop. What they were doing really didn’t sound much like romance but it quite possibly was that – at least part of their method of courtship. I did notice during my evening walk that the geese were split up into about three groups, so maybe it wasn’t romance at all and just a big spat – I’m not really sure how one could tell the difference – hopefully they know one from the other – silly geese!

Speaking of silly geese and planning ahead, sometimes we humans don’t plan ahead very well, particularly in the spiritual area. God has planned and prepared a future for us that is really “out of this world” and it would be extremely silly for us not to accept God’s gift of eternal life. ec

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Though I have planned for things in the past, I would have never thought I would be where I am today - by looking back on the choices I made 20 or 30 years ago. True, there is an ultimate path, but I can only hope there continues to be side rails and raised curves to keep me from running over a cliff. Not too bad so far, only a few setbacks. Oh and the geese, my puppies love to chase them - I don't know what they would do if they ever caught one... (they each weigh about 5 pounds) Ha - NLM

1/27/2008 10:42:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr.Eddie ~~ Nice to go hurtling down the highway and have breakfast with a like-minded friend. I hope the geese
sort themselves out as no doubt they will.
Nice that the pond has water in it for them again. Glad you liked the Stress Reducer and I also was amused by the one
wondering about a dog. Take care, With
best wishes, Merle.

1/28/2008 04:14:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

You put such vivid images in my mind with your words Mr. Ed. Hope you're having a fantastic week!

1/28/2008 09:06:00 PM  
Blogger ancient one said...

You do have a way with words. You don't really need pictures. We really had a nice January day today! Warm! Glad you got to see your friend and have breakfast together.

1/29/2008 10:19:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

randy and kim - So true, we do need the side rails and such. Thanks for dropping by, I tried to check out your blog but couldn't connect to it.

merle - It is good to have friends one can talk to even in the morning when not totally awake. :)

brenda - Thanks - the week is going well and the weather and temp is going nuts, constantly up and down - it was near 70 today.

ancient one - Thanks, the day was nice but we are supposed to get rain tonight and cold coming in tomorrow.

1/29/2008 11:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home