My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

2008

Standing on the precipice of a brand new year, looking out over the valley of the coming days, three questions came to my mind that will face all of us in one form or another in 2008.

First and possibly the largest one is – What will I do with the past? The enemy of our souls would have us held back and trapped by the bygone days. Will we be frozen and immobilized by the binding of the chains of guilt, mistakes and the “if onlys” – unable to go forward because of the seeming insurmountable issues of the past?

Have you made mistakes or even “on purposes” that you feel are unforgivable? Has someone hurt you in ways that you can’t forgive? Are you miserable and trapped by the feeling that you married the wrong person? Have you done stupid things that you will have to live with the rest of your life? There is Someone who is willing and able to forgive you and either change your situation or enable you to conquer it – and even enable you to forgive those who have wronged you – as hard as that sounds.

Whether you believe it or not, the Truth and only source of help we have is Jesus Christ and He is able to help you to break the chains of the past and even help you forgive yourself. I am not a theologian but I know what I was before I invited Christ into my life and I know the peace and joy that is such a part of me now. No longer do you have to be held back by the past, allow Jesus to help.

Second would be – What about the future? Even though it is not here yet, we have the choice to face it with great expectations or with a soul chilling fear. Yes I know that there is a certain amount of planning that has to be done but even the best plans go awry. Face the future by placing your life into the hands of the One who created all things – Jesus is the answer for the future as well.

That brings us to the last one – What about the present? Will we be held back by the past or controlled by the fear of the future and not really live and enjoy today? It is rightly called the present because it is a gift from God. Will we choose to enjoy and savor life as it comes? Will we admire the colorful bows and wrappings of the present – in anticipation of what it holds yet so much enjoying the unwrapping?

My choice is to be awed by all that is around me, even the minutiae – the tiny things life holds. I choose to be blown away by and captivated by the love and grace of an all-powerful God that cares for someone like you and me. May you allow His grace, mercy and forgiveness to be a part of your life this year. ec

9 Comments:

Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

A beautiful post.

Thanks for sharing these thoughts with us all today.

Happy New Year!


Junie

1/02/2008 08:36:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good questions, Mr. E. I recognize how Grace has intervened in my life in the past, is with me in the present, and I have faith that God will continue to be gracious in the future.

Blessing to you, my friend.

1/03/2008 12:18:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ Great thought provoking post. We can only hope to do the best we can, with God's grace to help us. Thanks for your comments. Glad you liked the family pitures and BELIEVE me we are in Summer here. Take care, my friend,
Regards, Merle.

1/03/2008 09:17:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Past, future, and present. God is always there with His love and care to be our Life.
Thank you for your words. They are worth remembering and acting upon.
Happy New Year,
Betty G

1/03/2008 10:12:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1/03/2008 10:36:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Amen!

1/04/2008 10:10:00 PM  
Blogger ancient one said...

You are so wise! Thanks for reminding us of what is important! Happy New Year!!

1/04/2008 10:39:00 PM  
Blogger Yours Truly said...

thank you. i mean it, thank you for writing that. i really needed to know that again.

1/05/2008 04:26:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

junierose - Thanks and the year is going great, hope yours is as well.

SSN - May it be so with your future - this unmerited favor of God is so awesome and yet so freely given that I am constantly amazed.

merle - Our temp has really been crazy for the last few days with the high in the 40s (F) and yet today went into the 60s and tomorrow it should be in the 70s. No wonder a lot of folks are ailing.

itsboopchile - That is the amazing part - He is always there - we may be unfaithful, but He will never fail us.

brenda - God has been so good to me, I can but share His praiseworthiness.

ancient one - Yes, our relationship with Jesus is the most important thing in any life.

yours truly - You are so welcome!! I need so many reminders myself. ec

1/06/2008 11:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home